Gold Rush: James Harness fired?

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im pretty sure some of you watch gold rush. James Harness team mechanic was fired at the end of the season, was it right? They question his devotion to the team. I can see both sides two years being promised he would receive money only to be let down from the incompetence of Todd Hoffman. My thoughts are that Todd is an incompetent leader cant make me think otherwise. I see James was not committed like some of the others and he has severe back pain. Dave has to go home several times during the season and Greg quit part way through and then came back. Jack is a morphin addict like James because of back pain. Hell Greg and Jim seemed to be the only guys that actually were there every minute. I think he was screwed a little but do to his bad back pain I felt he should of not been there anyway.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've watched every episode from both seasons and I was less than excited for most of this second season. It's becoming the same show over and over. We're running great, oops something broke, let's fix it, running great, oops... The ONLY thing that kept me interested in this season is Parker Schnabel.

Once in a while I tap into one of the many Internet threads in which people are discussing the show on other forums and some of them actually attract real gold miners that laugh at some of the stats that are given during the show such as how much it costs to run the machinery every day. We are always told it's around $1,000 but the real miners say it's more like $300. There are other things too but that's the first thing that came to mind.

Anyway, James is hurt and really shouldn't be there in the first place. Makes me think that this was just to add drama.

I think I've totally lost interest in the Hoffman "crew". The kid is more interesting.

Sorry for the mini-rant

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If any one of those crews (except the kid, Parker) were MY crews, I'd be getting new crews.

As far as I'm concerned, they come off looking idiotic (who mines without testing, really?), and they have spent the better part of 2 seasons "shut er down and lets do----------nothing. They are like road workers, one works and the others stand around and do nothing.

I wonder, does James get screwed out of a cut?

I, personally think it is meant to portray miners as dimwitted, greedy, argumentative and lazy.

Where is my Ice Road Truckers? :BangHead:

Beth

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fully agree! I personally think they also need to clean out their sluice box a little more often. They are losing too much gold. I like that Schnable fella, I think he has a future in mining.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
To be sure, a lot of every episode is edited for drama. Drama sells TV advertising, which makes the producers and everyone else involved money.

I don't think Todd and the rest of the crew did much of anything wrong, considering their lack of experience. They learned and adapted quite well all things considered.

Watching this show from day one, I spotted a lot of mistakes, and I still do even though they have most of the "wrinkles" smoothed out by now.

I'm still rooting for Todd and his Dad to make it and make it big. ;D

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jeffro,

Just talking about you yesterday - not bad - I was talking about your state, and some of things you had said about logging.

Todd - that's the Hoffmans? That was a rotten thing for those guys to get kicked off the claim after all that work. Oh well.

Hope things are good up your way.

Beth

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
1000 oz of gold next season RIGHT. dont think that will happen. did you hear parker the only reason why he got the visit from the inspectors is because the hoffmans :) i think he is right on that one.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Title was a Spoiler, Was just about to sit down
& watch to see who Got Fired :D

in My opinion Harness should have been fired
the day he brought the woman there to show off to,
and then let his work sit Till todd got on his case.
If the woman had been a 21 year old College Student,
I Would have understood.
However he would either need to share, or have her bring
enough friends for all !

Anyway, My guess he Quit, but in order to have the show
compensate him Fruther, he agreed to be
"Fired" for the Dramatics

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WIT said:
I've watched every episode from both seasons and I was less than excited for most of this second season. It's becoming the same show over and over. We're running great, oops something broke, let's fix it, running great, oops... The ONLY thing that kept me interested in this season is Parker Schnabel.

Once in a while I tap into one of the many Internet threads in which people are discussing the show on other forums and some of them actually attract real gold miners that laugh at some of the stats that are given during the show such as how much it costs to run the machinery every day. We are always told it's around $1,000 but the real miners say it's more like $300. There are other things too but that's the first thing that came to mind.

Anyway, James is hurt and really shouldn't be there in the first place. Makes me think that this was just to add drama.

I think I've totally lost interest in the Hoffman "crew". The kid is more interesting.

Sorry for the mini-rant
...I love the 1000.00 dollars a day too ,what gets me is the poured 15' by 15" concrete slab which all the gold recovery machinery sits on, not a word on how much that cost 150 mile out in no wears vill that had to be a pretty penny to pay for, that had to eat in to there profit not a word. the show is fake and their all a bunch of bums, one owns a air plane service ,the other one own a rock crushing road gravel business selling to the state. and county highway and to private parties. Yea it takes money, and then the way they just stripe the land there no better the hydraulic mining. well that my 2 cents on the subject. sorry WIT, if i took over your comment...liftloop

OP
OP
bluehunter1973

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree they should get rid of the hoffmans and just do a story about Parker. Now Fred has got a little Karma thrown back at him with stealing a claim and then losing his house. What comes around goes around. I am starting to like old Fred and his kid but it is not much.

Jeff sorry to spoil it for you and the young women comment wow your a little braver than I. Yea James was hurt and I do wonder if they did it for drama but look how he worked the first season.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me the show is just another form of TV entertainment, BUT........would sure be nice to have a place like that to go play for a few months each year.....yep, just me, my claim, and that hot college babe Jeff spoke of. :laughing9: Now fellas, that would make for a great mining experiance! :thumbsup:

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
I think $1000 a day for running costs seems legit. When you take into account food and supplies for the crew, the diesel, insurance, permits, conrete slab in the middle of nowhere, etc... then divide by number of mining days.... it probably pans out. Hell I just dropped $40 taking my daughter to breakfast and going to an indoor playground.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last season Harness had debilitating pain problems and had to go out of his way to get medication. Now we find out Pops has been sitting on a stash of morphine. What a jacka$$. No, Harness shouldn't have put his personal life in the way but they seemed to go out of their way at times to keep him from doing a professional job (moving before the equipment was ready, letting Pops have a cutting torch etc.)

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT..it is a Pro, but I am a rookie.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, FWIW...

Jack's back pain and use of prescription meds never stopped him from doing his work.
I am abundantly familiar with what Jack is suffering from and have had the temp. nerve burning he had done, it'll last about a year. I have two artificial disks at the levels they were working on him at. It ain't no fun, believe me. I have advanced degenerative disc disease, just like he does.
It rules your life.
Pushing through and running that machine..getting pounded, banged around and enduring the pain he was suffering is something bordering on unbelievable, pain meds or not. The extreme cold only adds to the misery.

James started losing the faith of the crew when he left the job site to get back treatment, then didn't get anything done but take some time off and get a script filled. He exacerbated the situation by just a lackadaisical approach to the problems the others presented him with...problems he was there to solve. I don't think he is/was a bad guy, I just don't think his heart (or mind) were in it, and it showed. The final straw to his teammates was when he brought that gal up and walked away from the team when they needed him. Todd isn't a strong leader, he should have nipped this all in the bud when it first started...of course, TV edits for rating so we are just speculating here.

I also only kept watching because of the kid. He has heart. Sorta gives ya faith in the young folks.

M

mikusek

That is a good critique of the situation there. They would not be a good team to join.

OP
OP
bluehunter1973

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the funniest thing is todd is claiming to get a thousand ounces next year. Hes on the last cut what is he going to start stealing it. He couldnt hit 100 ounces in two years. He doesnt even respect a 60,000 piece of equipment. He might be setting his eyes on the bearing sea. Hope he gets drowned by the rest of the crew.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old digger said:
I fully agree! I personally think they also need to clean out their sluice box a little more often. They are losing too much gold. I like that Schnable fella, I think he has a future in mining.

actually no,if they had the right "box",and tuned right,you normally clean out once a week.That downtime takes hours,hours that you arent running dirt.
Also,Harness got a free back surgery so dont open the pity bag too wide

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all scripted, fake tv drama. Doesn't anyone remember episode 1, season 1? They sold the airport to finance the gold venture, yet they're sitting in it at the end of season 2! It's all lies and make believe for the cameras and ratings.

Haworth

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole crew have no common sense ... I would like to re-run all the waste they sent out of the box ..I bet you would at least double the gold they recovered !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread