708.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Upvote 31
OP
OP
M

MineEyes92

Oct 29, 2022
Not all gold and silver objects are marked. Being this item isn't, could be a clue to how old it is and made before that became the norm for most gold and silversmith to stamp their pm's with a purity mark. Maybe it did have a very tiny mark such as the kind used by the French that became obscured from the damage? If a qualified jeweler tested it as gold, that be good in my book.
A tiny mark is definitely possible. I'll try to clean off some of the dirt that's still on it just to be sure

OP
OP
M

MineEyes92

Oct 29, 2022
Not all gold and silver objects are marked. Being this item isn't, could be a clue to how old it is and made before that became the norm for most gold and silversmith to stamp their pm's with a purity mark. Maybe it did have a very tiny mark such as the kind used by the French that became obscured from the damage? If a qualified jeweler tested it as gold, that be good in my book.
I looked at the thimble again and I still can't find a mark. The jeweler I took it to did a series of acid tests to verify it was gold. I'd like to think that indicates it's quite old as other people have suggested

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max international
Garrett AT Gold
Radio Shack MICRONTA 3001
AT propointer
34'' Bushpro stainless steel tree planters shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done! Maybe a portion of thimble is missing, possibly a silver or gold ring around the base that would have had hallmarks. Never seen a gold thimble find! very nice!

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
I've found allot of thimbles. In fact one again last night in my hammered yard. A good portion have been broken and many have been broken around the circumference like yours appears to be. Its just the way they break and the rest of yours is still out there somewhere.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It Is Not Gold! I will send you my address and you can send it to me and I'll properly dispose of it for you. Lol Congrat's on a very nice Save and Find. We never find it all, but it is fun trying to. We'll Done on the Gold thimble.

OP
OP
M

MineEyes92

Oct 29, 2022
It Is Not Gold! I will send you my address and you can send it to me and I'll properly dispose of it for you. Lol Congrat's on a very nice Save and Find. We never find it all, but it is fun trying to. We'll Done on the Gold thimble.
Ha ha! Thank you!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread