What's new

Gold Toned Halves?????

engine 823

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
312
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Waynesburg, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, ACE 150
:-\

I have a question. My wife and I are new to coin roll hunting. yes we read the W&E Treasures Mag! Thanks Bonnie! We have done pretty well so far but today we opened a box of halves. We found that the majority of them were regular 1974, ( No S Mint Marks ) gold toned halves. I would just have to say they have a gold tint to them when moved in the light. Are these worth keeping?? There are probably $30.00 worth in the first 19 rolls. Any thoughts???

So far we have found 58 40% Kennedy's, 6 90% Kennedy's, 4 Ben's 90%, 2 Walking Liberty 90%, All in about 6 weeks. We probably have been through 2000 or so dollars in halves.
Good luck hunting friends.
 
Upvote 0
Hello, i read an article in another magazine about pennies and rthen i moved onto halfs 2 days ago. I also have had beginners luck when i went to the back bought $440 in halfs and theres $300 in silver in there(i got a offer from a coin store). In my opinion i think that those are gold plated. I heard about that a while ago and if you like them keep them but the gold on them is only worth a penny or two. You could try to buy $50 worth of gas and give them that. LOL ;D
 
Wait I thought they were gold platted but there toned. Umm i would call a coin dealer and see if he would give you anything for them.
 
wow 300 dollars woth out of 440 dollars! Now that tops anything I've found. Just have to keep looking!
 
Welcome-

Sounds like you got a pile of BU 74's that someone finally decided to cash in. I have come across old Fed. rolled halves that look the same- -probably a little "age" caused the toning.
 
Not to sound silly but what does BU mean?? Also are these something I need to keep? thanks for the replies!!!
 
Brilliant Uncirculated

Happy Hunting!
Hoose
 
Still have not really found out if I should keep these BU 74 Halves or not????? I plan on dumping them today and picking up more. If someone could give me a heads up on this. I don't want to dump them and then find out I should have keep them.
Good Hunting!
 
Me and the wife went through another 190 dollars in halves today. Most was these same 1974 no mint mark halves. If they were in someones collection they must have had a ton of them!!! Only 1 1968 Kennedy in that bunch. >:( Maybe tommorrow!
Good Hunting!
 
When coins sit in the paper rolls for years the chemicals in the paper leach out and sometimes change the color of the coins and give them a "Patina".

There are people that collect these coins and if the coins you have are uncirculated then you might want to take a few to a coin dealer and see what they are worth or put a couple on ebay.

I would not get rid of them without doing some research.

Post a picture of one and lets see what it looks like.

CLZinTX
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom