The Press Herald (Pine Grove, Pennsylvania) 25 Mar 1932, Fr

attachment.php

Attachments

• 000aaa.jpg
    000aaa.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 141

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
In the UK (and Commonwealth countries) a Coroner is a Magistrate who is tasked with enquiring into deaths, fires and treasure trove. Trove is generally old treasure caches where the owner has gone and is indeterminate, not caches where an owner may be traced or suggested so that more modern law could be applied to determine who gets to claim it.

Trove is the property of the Crown, in the old days the King which is the State now.

TV shows make out now there are Coroners who take part in or do investigations themselves. They don't, they just preside over the Coroner's Court.

A Doctor will do the autopsy and present his opinion, an expert (say a Professor who has studied fire or history) will give his opinion and the Police (in ye old days the Sheriff) will investigate and present their findings to the Coroner who will make a determination whether an obvious answer can be rubber stamped or a full enquiry called an Inquest needs to be conducted.

In America they have Medical Examiners that are more like investigative Doctors who work with the Police . They still present their evidence to a Court that makes the final determination.

There are now statue laws which gives the finder a percentage of the monetary value of the trove so people will declare it rather than keeping it secret because in the old days it was all just taken by the Crown.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the coroner is called here when a person is dead,
they make an official report that they person is dead.

they have absolutely nothing to say about treasures found.
I'm not even sure they would point you to the proper authority.

but unfortunately the governors, and higher {thieves} do make decisions
that will help them kiss butt for brownie points

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likewise.
I was referring to online info which may or may not be accurate.

It's accurate, they have just given them a secondary duty, that they never had before the Act.
They just needed someone in Authority to rubber stamp the British Museum's Reports, as it wouldn't be appropriate for them to mark their own home work & they needed an Official Ruling.
Most Coroners like the distraction from their normal fair.
Also, the declaration of Treasure is done in an open Coroner Court & this is when the cat is out of the bag in terms of keeping it Secret. Because Reporters go to this events & report the Treasure in Newspapers. ie. the article quoted.

PS. Also in Law the Finder has 14 days from point of discovery to declare the 'Potential Treasure' to the Coroner. However, in practice what happens is I inform the Finds Liaison Officer for the County that I have found Potential Treasure & they inform the Coroner on my behalf.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah... if you find a treasure here.... no coroner is called... UNLESS....
A dead person is also found with said treasure.

heh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions