Gold, Watch, and some points

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
The gold is a nice ARGYOR 18k band and it was still warm when I found it. No engraving on the inside and it is like new. The watch is the first running watch for the year. (Swatch) Now for the points. These are points I would like to clear-up about detecting in Spain and other European countries. It is not illegal to metal detect in Spain unless you are within a specific distance of an archalogical site. (I don't know that distance for sure but it is something like 2 kilometers) You wold need to ck with the proper people. There are some areas that do have city ordanances against detecting on the beach and in the water but I have encountered only 2 of these. I have been hunting here for 16 years and have talked to the local government , the polica and the civil la guardia to obtain permission and head off any problems and I haven't had any. I believe France and Germany You need a permit from local councils. All other countries I have only hearsa info so it would be best to make sure wherever you hunt.
I have had several e-mail questions on this subject and I hope this helps.

HH-- Les

Attachments

• MVC-046S.JPG
    MVC-046S.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 631
Upvote 0

DPenhead

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2009
Mocksville, NC
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I have a friend of mine (archaeologist) from Spain that told me that it is not illegal to own a metal detector there, just illegal to use it.

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
nice finds! Swatch is a pretty good watch company, hey all swiss watches are nice! great gold too! :headbang:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DPenhead said:
I have a friend of mine (archaeologist) from Spain that told me that it is not illegal to own a metal detector there, just illegal to use it.

All lie :dontknow: .... . I assure you it is only illegal in Andalucia, but not in the rest of Spain .this type of information makes us much damage to the relic hunters in Spain. :BangHead:
Greetings!

OP
OP
diggerfororo

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
HISPAN said:
DPenhead said:

All lie :dontknow: .... . I assure you it is only illegal in Andalucia, but not in the rest of Spain .this type of information makes us much damage to the relic hunters in Spain. :BangHead:
Greetings!

Thanks for the input Hispan. Sounds like something you would here from an archi.

Les

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
diggerfororo said:
Thanks for the input Hispan. Sounds like something you would here from an archi.

Les
Ain't it the truth!

Interesting sidebar. My parents own a butte in the Willamette Valley. My uncle, a practical joker, once guided a famous historian to the butte, and told him a huge story about how the local tribes would get together and chase deer into a rock rurround before picking them off.

There is a kind of rocky crown up there. And I heard the story first-hand from my uncle. But it was written-up in this historian's history of the county, and now people quote it as gospel. Odd thing about that rock ring though: has long strands of barbed wire through it, not known from this area until the 1880's at least.

My uncle used to get a big kick about how he fooled a noted historian. BTW, a museum at a local college named for him: Horner. Bet my uncle, now deceased, is laughing even now. I hope so.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I hunted a beach in Marseli and we had the hotel call the police to ask they said it was OK.
It was the 1st weekday after Bastille day and No one was detecting!

I hunted in France at a park and the city hall said there were no laws. (the lawn guy wasn't to nice though,, should of seen that conversation, since I spoke very little french and he spoke no English) another city actually gave me written permission.

I also Gained permission to hunt a privately owned Castle while I was there ,,, the day i was leaving,,, Maybe get to go back next yr.

Are you beach hunting in Spain now digger?

OP
OP
diggerfororo

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
TEXAN Connection said:
I hunted a beach in Marseli and we had the hotel call the police to ask they said it was OK.
It was the 1st weekday after Bastille day and No one was detecting!

I hunted in France at a park and the city hall said there were no laws. (the lawn guy wasn't to nice though,, should of seen that conversation, since I spoke very little french and he spoke no English) another city actually gave me written permission.

I also Gained permission to hunt a privately owned Castle while I was there ,,, the day i was leaving,,, Maybe get to go back next yr.

Are you beach hunting in Spain now digger?

Thanks for the input on France--- YES I am hunting in Spain. I only hunt in the water. I leave the sand to the local hunters that only have a land machine.

Les

tentpegs

Oct 15, 2006
spain
Detector(s) used
ex 1000 surfmaster pi
Nice finds Lez, you are right i also ask the police, and they have never refused me on the beaches here in spain.I have lived here for over 5 years.And have had no problems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread