Goldmaster GM/4B

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
You are comparing apples to oranges. The Goldmaster was 4 to 5 generations of detectors ago. Much has changed and so too have detectors and their associated circuitry. I would recommend a MXT or GMT with adjustable SAT (hyperSAT on the MXT) if you are interested in a gold detector. Both have similar circuitry but the GMT has a Coin Mode and a Relic Mode that makes it more versatile. It operates at about 14 khz compared to the GMT and GMZ that is about 50 khz. The GMT and GMZ will find smaller gold but the MXT will also find small gold deeper. The GMT and GMZ are only gold nugget specific detectors. They do not have VDI #s for coin and relic shooting like the MXT. Hope this helps. I had a Goldmaster for 20 years and never found a nugget. The first week with the MXT, I found 4 nuggets in areas that I hunted before.

kai_gold

Jun 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Use: Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, F5, Compadre

Previously Used: Etrac, Explorer, G2, Lobo ST, Ace 250, Ace 350, MXT, Goldmaster 4/b, Gold Stinger, GTAx 550, Sovereign, Golden Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually the 4b came right before the gmt. Basically the gmt added a digital display, has auto-groundbalance. If you know how to manually ground balance, then performance is very similar and you can usually pick up a 4b for less. The analog meter on the 4b works just fine. If I move back to a gold region, i would pick up a 4b again.
James

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread