What's new

Good way to get FREE foriegn and maybe silver

goldencoin

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
5,669
Reaction score
452
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at the bank the other day, and whilst getting coins, I see a pair of 1986 Sears centennial tokens to the side. I ask what they intend to do with them, and they said throw them out. Luckily, I saved these nice pieces (they are plated with copper from the statue of liberty BTW) from the garbage. They also agreed to save anything else they come across. I asked the same question at another bank, they said they did the same thing, the same thing a third bank did. So, I asked them all to save them, and they said they would. Who knows, maybe they will get a foreign silver or really old american that they think is foreign. Even if you put them in a jar, it be better than throwing them away!

HH
-GC
 
Upvote 0
goldencoin said:
I was at the bank the other day, and whilst getting coins, I see a pair of 1986 Sears centennial tokens to the side. I ask what they intend to do with them, and they said throw them out. Luckily, I saved these nice pieces (they are plated with copper from the statue of liberty BTW) from the garbage. They also agreed to save anything else they come across. I asked the same question at another bank, they said they did the same thing, the same thing a third bank did. So, I asked them all to save them, and they said they would. Who knows, maybe they will get a foreign silver or really old american that they think is foreign. Even if you put them in a jar, it be better than throwing them away!

HH
-GC

I have tried that, but never end up getting anything as a result...

I have also had the bank say they couldn't give them to me which I think is funny since they throw them away otherwise.


My other suggestion to the bank was to put all the foreign coins in a jar and when the jar is full, have either a silent auction and donate the proceeds or donate the jar to the local boy scouts or other charity of their choice as a prize of some sort.
 
I have some banks that will save those for me. Last year along with foreign coins and several tokens, I got a Merc dime, 2 war nickels and an Indian head cent. They also gave me their "dirty, chewed up, and sticky (stuck together)" coins. It was alot of work, but the price was right.
 
I have a handful of banks/CUs that routinely hold any foreign coin for me. Others, like Gman says, say they can't. I'm building up some nice series collections from Canada and Mexico (just to name two) because of this.

Nice begets nice.
 
I knew a woman, that worked at a grocery store, that had the bank inside and the coinstar people hold foreign coins for her. After about a year she seperated her JARS into countries and called the US embassy in each country asking them to take her foreign coins and buy something for her kid and ship it back....That Christmas her kid got toys from all over the world and other fun things like lederhosen.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom