What's new

Goodyear rubber button

mmocha2905

Full Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2018
Messages
185
Reaction score
569
Golden Thread
0
Location
massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never found one of these before, maybe cuz its not metal. Found next to other metal item. Neat item I thought
 

Attachments

  • 17912426442594238702364798512433.webp
    17912426442594238702364798512433.webp
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 17912427763771226415012304116830.webp
    17912427763771226415012304116830.webp
    858.6 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 9
That's a cool recovery, congratulations
Here's some history on the production.
The antique Goodyear hard rubber buttons featuring the Lady Head profile (often referred to by collectors as the "Lady Liberty" button) were primarily produced between 1853 and 1874.
While the back of the button is explicitly stamped with the famous "May 6, 1851" patent date, this marks the year Nelson Goodyear patented the vulcanized hard rubber formula, not the exact year the button was manufactured.
  • The Primary Production Window: Most of these specific profile buttons were manufactured by the Novelty Rubber Company (N.R. Co.), which mass-produced them from 1853 until 1874.
  • Extended Production: Because the design remained popular and the hard rubber formulas were highly durable, variations of the Goodyear Lady Head buttons continued to be pressed by licensee companies through the Victorian era and up until the 1920s.
 
Years ago, I spotted one laying in washout in a field that I had hunted several times before. I ran my detector over it to see what kind of signal this button gave off (I did not know at the time that rubber buttons existed.) Of course, it did not give off any signal. I thought my metal detector had stopped working and no matter the setting it was not producing a signal. I felt kind of dumb when I finally reached down and picked the button up and looked at it closer. :laughing7:
 
Never found one of these before, maybe cuz its not metal. Found next to other metal item. Neat item I thought
Great recovery
Congratulations on your achievement
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom