Google Earth Image Overlay feature....

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
I dunno if this topic is in the right forum.....but WOW!

I just learned how to use this!!!!

I'm having a BLAST superimposing my OLD maps atop/into the Google Earth maps and checkin' 'em out by varying the transparency!

Honest to goodness....30 years ago this technology would have been TOP SECRET!

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!

Anyone else do this???

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you be more specific?Link? :dontknow:

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
Sorry for not getting back to above poster's question...

It's a GREAT tool because I have NUMEROUS high resolution scanned photographs of my neck of Pennsylvania dated 1939.

What I do is slowly scroll over the old pics and ID long forgotten homesteads, structures, baseball fields etc. that are now GONE. I'd never even know they were ever there if not for these old aerials. SO - I can import them into Google Earth (GE). Once in GE, I can adjust the exact dimensions on the old B&W pic atop the current day GE view. The point is to match landmarks of today with landmarks then. Roads, intersections, ponds, ponds now that were mere depressions then, structures that existed then that still stand today.
Once you get the old pic perfectly sized and oriented, you can gradually adjust the transparency of the old pic so that the current GE view shows through. This is super handy because then I can put my mouse pointer over the exact spot of where the old ballfield/park/homestead/etc once WAS and lock in its exact GPS coordinates! Even if it was once wiiiide open fields and it's now well grown in woods -- I can get myself to any hunt location quickly and precisely. I can see where bleachers would have been. I can see, around old old abandoned schools, where the kids used to play by the grass wear marks (back then). I can see where the clotheslines likely were.

Ya see???

GE saves it as its own individual site so if you have a large old pic superimposed on a piece of GE property that is heavily populated by other placemarks, that large old pic overlay ONLY shows up in that individually saved place. If you selected a saved place nearby, you won't get the pic B&W pic overlay.

Try it out. It's REALLY cool.
And your hunts may get more productive!

-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions