Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today, I hit a spot that I passed on my way home from a hunt last Friday. I'm really partial to Hills with grass and lots of shade trees.
To get an idea of when human traffic started to get a little heavier in this neighborhood, I Googled in the Apartment Builing Address that was directly across from the hill that showed promise. It was built in 1927. That's good.
Then I Googled in the local train station. It opened in 1920. That's good too. When people were given the opportunity to use Mass Transit to get to work in the city,, they moved into the neighborhoods that were about an hour's ride from the city. It was kind of like going home to the country after a day of work in the city.
Now look at those dates.
Although Willis Carrier built his first Air Conditioner in 1902, residential air conditioning sales didn't take off until the 1950's. Yep, give me a lawn with some shade trees that stood across from a few old apartment buildings and you have an area that was a place where tenants would gravitate to,, to escape the heat of their apartments.
Today's hunt seems to prove my theory, which I have applied numerous times over the years.
My finds for the day were: 13q 13d, 2n, 49 memorials, 9 wheat pennies, (46, 47(2), 48, 49(2), 50, 53d, & 56), 2 Mercury Dimes, (20s & 43), a 1959d Roosevelt Dime, 2 Silver Washington Quarters, ( 47 & 59d), a 925 Silver Ring, a NYC Transit Token, (5 borough Pentagram), a key, a marble, (Good find, as I have lost most of mine), an EBS Pin, some copper and a SUPER PLATE??

IMG_1460.JPG IMG_1459.JPG IMG_1461.JPG IMG_1457.JPG IMG_1458.JPG IMG_1463.JPG IMG_1462.JPG

Upvote 17

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the silver. That's a lot of targets.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a great day you had. Those silvers cleaned up very nicely!!!

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The acorn looking thingy to the left bottom of the KEY looks like the nut to hold a lamp shade in place????????????????????

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on all those coins and especially the silver ones. :occasion14: My experience tells me that you can research all you want and dream that your intuition is good, but google can't show you how many times the target location has been hunted thoroughly or cherry picked.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on all the silver, your theory proved correct!!
good hunting!

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad your research paid off for you, nice assortment of saves.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Loco,,, I spent countless hours in the library vault researching NYC areas for potential sites. Being able to access information on the Internet has cut down on time spent looking for information. This place I'm hunting, like many of the places I'm hitting, has been searched. Most of the silver I'm finding is deep. Well beyond the capabilites of machines that were being used just 20 years ago.
Congrats on all those coins and especially the silver ones. :occasion14: My experience tells me that you can research all you want and dream that your intuition is good, but google can't show you how many times the target location has been hunted thoroughly or cherry picked.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done ATW. I am so jealous of you northern hunters. Well played brother.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another great hunt - Congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,, the acorn was a common ornament to hold lamp shades in place. Except when tipsy revelers wanted to act a little nuts and wear the lamp shade.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good researching and a great hunt. Congrats on the silvers........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread