✅ SOLVED Gopher Find

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the past two weeks I have been on a mission to trap the gophers in the yard. I have 6 traps set everyday. The wiley diggers trip one or two traps daily but have so far escaped unscathed.
Yesterday, checking my traps, I found this old bezel or bottle cap with a small hinge on it on top of a new gopher mound alongside another tripped trap.
I believe it was a ploy to distract me from my hunt. And it worked. I spent the better part of the morning trying to i.d. the gophers gift.
It may be a top to a bottle or a bezel from...?
The site has been occupied for about 200 years.

Bezel top-cleaned.jpg Bezel inside-cleaned.jpg Bezel edge-cleaned.jpg

Any ideas?

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
I don’t know what you found but I’m trapping gophers too. I attach a piece of carrot on the pan to help catch those buggers.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My uncle swore they were delicious fried up like chicken. Even lost a friend/acquaintance from a certain incident involving fried gopher. A .22 rifle or air rifle and some hot oil could solve the problem if not in populated area.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the item looks familiar but I just can't place it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
White Heart

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fat, I put sweet, fresh dandilion roots and greens with the trap. When they are gone I will try carrots...and they might add to the flavor when prepared as Tp suggests. In past years, during lean times I let the gophers have free rein and I counted them in my inventory of emergency food supplies.

tindig, I also wondered if it was from a compass, but with the small finger lip it looks like the entire lid was designed to be pulled off as well as having a hinged cover. I also can't figure the small holes. Obviously for attaching something.
Maybe it is part of a locket.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run a garden hose in the gopher holes and put the trap in the escape tunnel or sit there with a 22 or pellet rifle then fire up the B.B.Q.

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be Respectful

Use the proper tools so as to disturb the soil as little as possible.
Gently replace plugs and tamp loose soil down to avoid disrupting vegetation and root structure.
Leave the area as you found it with no signs of having passed through.
Patience and care will result in your best chances of success and ensure you will be welcomed back.

Caddyshack.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
White Heart

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's it! An inkwell lid collar. At one time a ubiquitous item which everyone would have known.
Thanks DCMatt!
WH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
White Heart

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if only I can teach the over fed rodent how to distinguish gold from relics, we could be th'n partners.

Upvote 0

pistol-pete

Nov 4, 2012
Custer County, CO. at 9300 Ft.
Detector(s) used
1970 Garrett Hunter, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe it is the base ring of a smoking pipe cover. The hinge part, usually fancy, is gone. Have found a number of these around here in Colorado

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if only I can teach the over fed rodent how to distinguish gold from relics, we could be th'n partners.

Ive always wondered if metals gave off enough smell for one of those truffle pigs. i am guessing not.

Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I believe it is the base ring of a smoking pipe cover. The hinge part, usually fancy, is gone. Have found a number of these around here in Colorado
A smoking pipe with a 2 and 3/4 inch in diameter bowl? Just what exactly are you smoking up thar in Westcliffe or Rosita, Pete! lol

Have you met the new owners of Spread Eagle Ranch? My father just sold it recently. GOOD LUCK UP THERE! Say hello to Rachel and Brian (Hoss!) next time yoiu're at Antlers for me!

Excellent ID Matt! HH ALL

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions