What's new

Got a 1950D Jefferson yesterday

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Searched a box of halves, nickels and dimes yesterday in the car yesterday while a buddy was driving out to Columbus, OH with me. Skunked on the halves, dimes only had a 1961, but the nickels had 40 pre-60s (1 per roll), including a 1950D in great shape, probably AU with nearly full steps. Technically, this is the first 50D I've found myself, however a few years ago I had a friend helping me crh nickels, and he found a 50D in a roll of the nickels. So according to my spreadsheet this is the 2nd 50D but like I said the first I've actually discovered purely by myself. Still looking for that 39D though. Nickel count is well over 400,000 searched.
 
Upvote 0
I guess I'm pretty lucky then. I haven't found the 1939 D but I did find a 1939 and that was in only 2 rolls! I've been on a pretty tight CRH budget and only doing pennies and a few rolls of nickels here and there. How do the regular 1939 without the D mintmark rate on price and how hard to find?
 
phillips24 said:
I guess I'm pretty lucky then. I haven't found the 1939 D but I did find a 1939 and that was in only 2 rolls! I've been on a pretty tight CRH budget and only doing pennies and a few rolls of nickels here and there. How do the regular 1939 without the D mintmark rate on price and how hard to find?

39's are fairly common. The D is the key!
 
1939 very common as far as pre-60s go. I have found 250 1939 nickels from rolls but not one 1939D.
 
Great going. Glad you found it. The 1939D will turn up one of these days. Just one to go!

Brian
 
Darn, been searching box after box for a 50d, plus the mint marked 38's and 39s...got the 39D...lucky me :)

HH
-GC
 
Because they are the lower mintages ones!

And its fun to put sets together of course!

Grats on the 50-D.

Still need to find 3 nickels for my own set, including that darn 50-D!

~Dave
 
Ju8vP3t said:
Why save pre-60 nickels?

I don't save them all, just working on a set of circulation-only Jeffs. The rest I sell at a decent profit.
 
Dr. D... where do you sell yours?

Dealer or on Ebay? Somewhere else?

I assume you sell them in mixed or unsearched lots?

I'm curious as I have a sizeable bag of spares myself...

~Dave
 
I saw something interesting for sale on my last visit to the local coin shop - bags of 100 pre-1960 Jefferson's. Price? $17.95! :o I wonder if they sell any.

Of all the Jefferson's, the 50-D has shown up the least for me, only three times. The next one will complete my fourth set from "circulation" (read: slot machines). Just found my fifth 38-D ever yesterday.

Yup, 1939's are pretty common. I'm working on my 11th roll (and still no reverse doubled die >:()

Keep at it and persistence will pay off!
 
Grats on the newest 39-D Immy! I'm jelous!

And that is crazy that you have 11 rolls of 39's! Why are you keeping so many!?

I have one solid roll of them and that is enough for me! The rest are in my giant bag of mixed spares that I need to decide what to do with fairly soon before it becomes too big and heavy to move!

~Dave
 
BBcardsRI said:
Dr. D... where do you sell yours?

Dealer or on Ebay? Somewhere else?

I assume you sell them in mixed or unsearched lots?

I'm curious as I have a sizeable bag of spares myself...

~Dave

I've been selling them on Ebay. True you pay a lot in fees but I like the enjoyment of it. The 'see what it goes for this time' part of the game.
 
Immy said:
I saw something interesting for sale on my last visit to the local coin shop - bags of 100 pre-1960 Jefferson's. Price? $17.95! :o I wonder if they sell any.

That's why I keep saving 'em...Don't expect an immediate payoff, but they should be worth something. :)
 
cangrats on the 50-d
I got one about a month ago and had no idea it was good until i checkin the redbook
 
BBcardsRI said:
I take it you go the "unsearched lot" route? How big are the lots you sell?

~Dave

I don't falsely advertise about it; my description is a roll of 50 year old nickels. I don't keep the semi-keys I've found duplicates of either, it is basically a random group of 1938-1958 nickels. However my only negative feedback was from a guy that didn't like that he got 9 1954Ds in a roll, so I started making sure each roll I sold had a greater variety. But yeah I sell them by the roll.
 
BBcardsRI said:
Grats on the newest 39-D Immy! I'm jelous!

Actually a 38-D, but thanks anyway. The next 39-D is coming your way Dave so find something to trade...

BBcardsRI said:
And that is crazy that you have 11 rolls of 39's! Why are you keeping so many!?

Since the 1939 mintage is 120,627,535 my goal is to reach 535, but I may not stop there!

BBcardsRI said:
I have one solid roll of them and that is enough for me! The rest are in my giant bag of mixed spares that I need to decide what to do with fairly soon before it becomes too big and heavy to move!

I keep spares too of the tougher dates. They're great for trades.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom