What's new

Got a 1950D Jefferson yesterday

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Searched a box of halves, nickels and dimes yesterday in the car yesterday while a buddy was driving out to Columbus, OH with me. Skunked on the halves, dimes only had a 1961, but the nickels had 40 pre-60s (1 per roll), including a 1950D in great shape, probably AU with nearly full steps. Technically, this is the first 50D I've found myself, however a few years ago I had a friend helping me crh nickels, and he found a 50D in a roll of the nickels. So according to my spreadsheet this is the 2nd 50D but like I said the first I've actually discovered purely by myself. Still looking for that 39D though. Nickel count is well over 400,000 searched.
 
Upvote 0
DrDetector said:
I don't falsely advertise about it; my description is a roll of 50 year old nickels. I don't keep the semi-keys I've found duplicates of either, it is basically a random group of 1938-1958 nickels. However my only negative feedback was from a guy that didn't like that he got 9 1954Ds in a roll, so I started making sure each roll I sold had a greater variety. But yeah I sell them by the roll.

I just checked a some finished eBay auctions and got some average prices for anyone thinking of selling.

Typical circulated, pre-1960, non-key dates sell for $3-$8 per solid date roll.
Circulated solid date rolls of semi-keys can fetch over $10, with keys going for over $20.
Mixed-date rolls of circulated wartime silver will of course fluctuate with spot prices, but $25-$30 seems average.
Circulated solid date rolls of silver, when you can find them, can go for more than $30.

Doc, are you getting decent returns? Unless your shipping fees make up the difference, I can't imagine bothering with this unless you're selling for at least $5 per roll.

Couldn't believe some people are trying to sell sucker rolls of circulated 64-Ds. Are you kidding me??
 
Dr, you're a machine! Now for some real hunting: are you ready to head back up to the woods?
 
Immy you're a nut... trying to corner the market on those 39's! lol

Nice to hear the next one is coming my way... one way or the other I will have something to trade you for it. Not sure if I can manage up a key for you... but I got plenty of wars and other silver lying around to trade. ;)

~Dave
 
BBcardsRI said:
Immy you're a nut... trying to corner the market on those 39's! lol

I'm a nut alright...nutty for them Jefferson's! :tongue11: Yep, when I reach 535 I'll have .0000044% of the 1939's. Then watch the value go up! ;D

We'll come up with something to trade. If you've got a stash of foreign coins accumulating we can go that way too.
 
Only foreign on me now is a little silver... a couple from Canada and one from South Africa.

I'm got a big bag of all kinds of foreign stuff back home... if you let me know what you are looking for I can have someone back there mail it out. ;)

Don't expect you to find one of those raries anytime soon though, so we go time. =)

~Dave
 
halfdime said:
Dr, you're a machine! Now for some real hunting: are you ready to head back up to the woods?

I'm ready. Plus we are go on that house we talked about, I got permission. Should be interesting to check that place out. Maybe a day next week?
 
Immy said:
BBcardsRI said:
Immy you're a nut... trying to corner the market on those 39's! lol

I'm a nut alright...nutty for them Jefferson's! :tongue11: Yep, when I reach 535 I'll have .0000044% of the 1939's. Then watch the value go up! ;D

We'll come up with something to trade. If you've got a stash of foreign coins accumulating we can go that way too.

If you add in the 350 to 370 that I have we can really corner the market...because we would have 0.00075% of the 1939's. That's getting close to 1/1000th of 1%....woohoo...

Note: Your decimal place is off a by a couple digits... you already have a much higher % than you think. :)


Speaking of cornering the market...back when I was a kid (in the mid 80's) I started trying to save all the 1979-D pennies I could find because it was the lowest mintage recent date at the time....I think I got all the way up to a few hundred over the next few years before I gave it up.... :) Wonder what I would have had today had I continued...

On a similar note....I have always wondered which coin I owned the highest percentage of the total minted. I am guessing it's a nickel, but I don't have everything I have pulled from circulation compiled neatly right now, so I can't be certain which one would win.
 
Ease up there GMan, you're cutting into my totals! ;D At the rate you search you'll probably reach 535 before me. I have around 100 to go.

Despite the high mintage I find it amazing there are so many 39's still to be found, especially since they're going on 70 years old. I'll bet they're the most common pre-1940 coin currently found in circulation.

GMan00001 said:
I have always wondered which coin I owned the highest percentage of the total minted.

That's an interesting question. The most wheats I have of any date is four rolls and they're all really common dates with much higher mintages than the 39 nickel, so they're out as candidates. The lowest mintage full date nickel roll I have is the 51-S, plus a handful of extras in books. Hmmm, some quick math shows 45 51-S's is a higher percentage than the 435 39's, so it looks like we have a winner.
 
Immy said:
Ease up there GMan, you're cutting into my totals! ;D At the rate you search you'll probably reach 535 before me. I have around 100 to go.

Despite the high mintage I find it amazing there are so many 39's still to be found, especially since they're going on 70 years old. I'll bet they're the most common pre-1940 coin currently found in circulation.

GMan00001 said:
I have always wondered which coin I owned the highest percentage of the total minted.

That's an interesting question. The most wheats I have of any date is four rolls and they're all really common dates with much higher mintages than the 39 nickel, so they're out as candidates. The lowest mintage full date nickel roll I have is the 51-S, plus a handful of extras in books. Hmmm, some quick math shows 45 51-S's is a higher percentage than the 435 39's, so it looks like we have a winner.

Since I save all pre-1960 nickels, at first glance I think my highest percentage is going to be 1958-D or some date like that instead of a low mintage date, but until I get a chance to incorporate them all into my collection.....I will never know. It also could be one of the few lower mintage post-1960 nickels I keep (like 1968-D or 1968-S).
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom