What's new

Got a new place to hunt today!

EricTheCat

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2011
Messages
494
Reaction score
546
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, I want to through out a general thank you to the members of this forum. Members here have been incredibly helpful and patient with my occasional "geofact/artifact" threads. I am learning so much here and I feel like I am finally getting on track. Thank you!

So I went to my local farm store today to pick up some mulch. I have had good experiences there, for example they let me search for agates in their rock pile. Well today I decided to ask if he owned any farm fields where it would be okay for me to look for artifacts. I worded my questions carefully to make sure he understood what I was asking. As I was explaining I swear his face was saying "no" but then he says "Yes, and I know right where you can start.". He told me I can look any time, just stop by the store to tell him first (and if he is not there, it is still okay). :))) He pointed me to a field that is maybe 1/4 of a mile from my house. It is near the top of a large hill with a pretty good overlook. I drive by this field almost every day and many days I have said to myself "THAT would be a field worth searching".

I went out there today and looked for about an hour. So far I did not find anything I would definitively say is an artifact, but it was a short hunt and also the dirt is pretty dry. I was surprised how much rock there is at this location. I noticed plenty of material rock that would be good for knapping (flint, chert, agate, jasper, even big rocks of such and quartz). Also a good mix of just old stuff (old glass, pottery pieces (not ancient, but old looking)). My gut tells me this is a good place to look and worst case I get to spend time outside looking at rocks and dirt.

Here is a quick pic of one of the fields:
FieldToHunt-2015-06-19.webp

The pic is looking toward a creek valley and in the opposite direction there is a river less than a mile down and this particular location is almost strait up from the highest bluffs on the higher side of the river. The fields may not be that huge but I am thrilled for this opportunity to take my chances.

Just some good news I wanted to share. Now hopefully soon I will have some more artifacts to show!

Edited to add, these three pieces have some interesting features. one on the right is real sharp. Still not enough for me to say it couldn't be a geofact or incidental breaks but what do you think?:
FeildStones-Chipped-2015-06-19-Img_6317SSS.webp

FeildStones-Chipped-2015-06-19-Img_6321SSS.webp

FeildStones-Chipped-2015-06-19-Img_6322SSS.webp

Closer-Img_6317.webp

Closer-Img_6321.webp



Happy hunting,
Eric
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks to be a graver type tool with that tip. I find quite a few of them in the fields I hunt.
 
After researching what you said that seems right. Also the more I look at it, and the tip, the more it seems deliberate. It is the large size of the chips that threw me off making me think it couldn't be a whole piece. It has risen from my maybe pile and I have learned something new.
 
I have found some nice ones but most are made crudely.
 
Today's hunt may have yielded another crude tool. :dontknow: There seems to be some edge sharpening on this one. It does have some area that seems untouched. Still waiting for the one I don't have to question. Thanks for barring with me! :)

FieldStone-2015-06-27-Img_6835SSS.webp

FieldStone-2015-06-27-Img_6838SSS.webp

FieldStone-2015-06-27-Img_6840SSS.webp

FieldStone-2015-06-27-Img_6842SSS.webp
 
Looks like a rock they might of tried to use but had to many inclusions and tossed it.
 
Looks like a cool spot with good potential.

Good luck.
 
Intriguing. There really is a lot of good material there. I could see why they could afford to toss one aside if it showed the slightest weakness.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom