Got Me Some Silver!

ceejay64

Apr 16, 2006
New Hampshire, USA
Detector(s) used
BH Pioneer 505
Well, I had a pretty productive day, capped off by my first "real" find! Not bad considering I've had my MD less than a week.
Visited 3 separate spots today, first I went to a beach in York, ME., where I got blasted by cold winds and didn't find anything other than junk. Didn't stay too long. Drove around looking for an inspirational looking area, and decided on a little softball park in Portsmouth, NH. Figured there would be clad around and I could get some pinpointing and digging practice in. I searched around and hit a few promising spots that revealed modern clad. Then I got a hit that showed about 4" - 6" down. Decided to dig it despite not being sure what might be there.
Here is what I found:
halfdimecrop.jpg

Needless to say I was stunned and amazed when I wiped enough dirt off of it to realize that it wasn't just any old silver disc. And this came out of the dirt area not 12' from the fence sectioning off the softball field! This little park is in an old part of town, very close to a 1600's farmhouse and a large town cemetary.
Lastly, I went to a different park on the inlet and searched the beach (read: "mud and muck") area. Found a few more coins, game tokens, a presumably silver dime (although it's so beat up, the date is obliterated so I can't tell for sure), a fishing weight, and some more junk.
Here is the group shot of what I actually brought home:
finds.JPG

I'm still just so excited about the 1835 half dime that I can hardly stand it!!! :o And to think it came from a modern softball park! I'm stunned!
Thanks for letting me share. Gonna go clean up the coins now, and decide where to go tomorrow!
Cheers,
Ceejay

Upvote 0

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
That half dime is the find of a lifetime! WTG CeeJay64! So tell us truthfuly...........are you completely & thoroughly addicted to MDing now? LOL ;D Look forward to many more posts & pics from you!

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
CEEJAY, Welcome To The Forum, And Congrats On The Great Find. Best Of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 116.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 116.gif
    55.2 KB · Views: 534
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 116.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 116.gif
    55.2 KB · Views: 534
M

mchamby

Hi CeeJay, I believe I hunted the same beach last year and came up with less than 25 cents, if its the one by goldenrods then it's the same one, the waves really smash against the beach there. My club has it's annual hunt near moody in the fall. Nice finds, I'm sure your going to have lots of competition on those beaches. HH
Mchamby

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
WTG! Other than a little oxidation on the rim , that Half Dime is in excellent condition.Congratulations on your first silver find! Welcome to the Forum. HH!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
your post heading said "some silver" not "incredible silver!" that is just awesome, and its in great shape as well. way to go!

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
WOW -- that is one awesome piece of silver -- I don't think there is anyting that old in this entire state -- congrats -- hope the finds keep comming for ya!! ;D

S

southbound

WOW Ceejay!!! Congrats on the super coin finds! You said you only had the detector a week. What kind did you get?
Vern

OP
OP
ceejay64

ceejay64

Apr 16, 2006
New Hampshire, USA
Detector(s) used
BH Pioneer 505
Thanks everyone!
I'm embarassed to say that the flash in the picture may have made the coin look better than it actually is. It's got a little bend in it (very slight), and there is some residue on the back side, but it's still my baby! :)
After reading up in the cleaning section, I'm not sure how much I want to do to it to clean it up. So far, it's been through a low-grade ultrasonic cleaner with hot water and mild detergent to knock the dirt off. Here is the back now (no flash on this photo):
halfdimerear.JPG

This is my first real find, and I intend on keeping it. Basically, I LOVE it and I LOVE detecting!!!
I use a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. All the features, and it works pretty darned good; at least for what I can tell. It really is an addicting hobby...I can see myself putting off many, many other things in favor of going out hunting. ;D I'll have to be careful of that.
Thanks again for all the kind words! It's a community like this that makes someone feel welcome and adds so much knowledge to aid beginners. I appreciate it!
~Ceejay

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Man! If I found a coin like that 1835 I'd camp out there for several days. I'd have the wife bring my meals in. LOL!

Great find! That's the coin of 10,000 digs.

Badger

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOWOWOWOWOW!! If you found that coin at just 4-6 inches then I would be hitting that park until there wasn't any metal in the ground! Dig EVERY signal out there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions