Got Me Some Silver!

ceejay64

Apr 16, 2006
New Hampshire, USA
Detector(s) used
BH Pioneer 505
Well, I had a pretty productive day, capped off by my first "real" find! Not bad considering I've had my MD less than a week.
Visited 3 separate spots today, first I went to a beach in York, ME., where I got blasted by cold winds and didn't find anything other than junk. Didn't stay too long. Drove around looking for an inspirational looking area, and decided on a little softball park in Portsmouth, NH. Figured there would be clad around and I could get some pinpointing and digging practice in. I searched around and hit a few promising spots that revealed modern clad. Then I got a hit that showed about 4" - 6" down. Decided to dig it despite not being sure what might be there.
Here is what I found:
halfdimecrop.jpg

Needless to say I was stunned and amazed when I wiped enough dirt off of it to realize that it wasn't just any old silver disc. And this came out of the dirt area not 12' from the fence sectioning off the softball field! This little park is in an old part of town, very close to a 1600's farmhouse and a large town cemetary.
Lastly, I went to a different park on the inlet and searched the beach (read: "mud and muck") area. Found a few more coins, game tokens, a presumably silver dime (although it's so beat up, the date is obliterated so I can't tell for sure), a fishing weight, and some more junk.
Here is the group shot of what I actually brought home:
finds.JPG

I'm still just so excited about the 1835 half dime that I can hardly stand it!!! :o And to think it came from a modern softball park! I'm stunned!
Thanks for letting me share. Gonna go clean up the coins now, and decide where to go tomorrow!
Cheers,
Ceejay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ceejay64

ceejay64

Apr 16, 2006
New Hampshire, USA
Detector(s) used
BH Pioneer 505
Thanks!
I'm thinking about getting a bezel and wearing that coin on a chain. I still can't believe it!
Hey Ashleen - wanna make a plan to hit that area together? Yeah - Pease would rock...but who to ask??! Also considering UNH. A Sat or Sun when there are relatively no folks about. I'm a student there, so if anyone asks, I think it would help to whip out my student ID. LOL! ;D
Let me know if you'd like to do anything like that. I love going out, but I would really enjoy hunting with someone else who has experience.
Cheers,
~Ceejay

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Superbably Fantasticly most Awsome little piece of history! ;D
... well, you know, that's one sweet silver! ;)
Congrats!

Chris

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Ceejay,
Thanks for telling me about this post. I don't know how I missed it before.
That is a very nice coin. Detecting in older sections of town will sometimes produce these kind of finds even though the area may be used for other things now. Very nice way to start.
Congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread