What's new

Got my first bear of the year on the TC

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
2,192
Reaction score
3,184
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wife and I got to see him as well, she was out watering her flowers, came in and said, honey there's a bear coming. We watched him come down through the yard. Then it hit me,I bet he is on the trail cam :)
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0001.webp
    DSCF0001.webp
    481.5 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCF0002.webp
    DSCF0002.webp
    528.9 KB · Views: 72
Is that not a scary thing to have happen in your yard ? There are bears here in France but they are pretty high up in the mountains and rarely venture into gardens etc... I mean can you still sit outside for an evening , drink a few beers and look at the stars with those guys hanging around ? I wouldn't settle, always on edge..
 
Is that not a scary thing to have happen in your yard ? There are bears here in France but they are pretty high up in the mountains and rarely venture into gardens etc... I mean can you still sit outside for an evening , drink a few beers and look at the stars with those guys hanging around ? I wouldn't settle, always on edge..
No, not too scary, our bears here in the Rockys of Colorado are actually pretty timid,they really don't want anything to do with us humans, they will turn and go away from you, They are just looking for their next trash can. Most bad bear encounters here happen when someone accidentally corners them or spooks them. We still sit out watching the stars at night , I can also smell them coming ! Just another of God's creatures going about their business and always a treat to see.
 
Sounds like your wife came in and said that pretty casually, like it was a stray dog ! That's a neat pic.
Its a pretty common sight here where were at, always get to see a bear or a sow with here cubs at least 4 or 5 times a season going through the property. I wish I could get pics of them all.And yes , she is pretty casual,doesn't panic any more ! She knows to never turn her back on them and never run and make herself look bigger , make noise so they know she's there and get inside !
 
Good advice there... i reckon
So keep them in front of you, don't run, try to look as big as possible, alert them to your presence by making noise ( I imagine loud , friendly but firm tone) °and move away ... .?? is that the same format for all bears ?
 
Good advice there... i reckon
So keep them in front of you, don't run, try to look as big as possible, alert them to your presence by making noise ( I imagine loud , friendly but firm tone) °and move away ... .?? is that the same format for all bears ?
No just black bears, do that with a grizzly/brown bear and you will have trouble, but even with a grizzly the making noise part before you see them is a good idea, they may just avoid you, but once you see them it hopefully is from a long ways away from you and they don't have cubs, if there's cubs involve you'll more than likely get attacked if the mother sees you at all, even if she 100s of meters away.
 
Last edited:
I agree with AU, but I don't have any experience,and don't want any ☺ with Grizzlys , the last Grizz known in Colorado , Old Mose, was killed in 1904. But bears are bears and if somehow you manage to piss one off they will come at ya.
 
Here's a black bear that paid us a visit up in the North Georgia mountains a few years ago. He was a small one but, beautiful to see. He arrived too late to get much of anything off the grill.
 

Attachments

  • Black Rock Mountain - 2023 (1).webp
    Black Rock Mountain - 2023 (1).webp
    99.2 KB · Views: 26
Here's a black bear that paid us a visit up in the North Georgia mountains a few years ago. He was a small one but, beautiful to see. He arrived too late to get much of anything off the grill.
Reb, what a great picture !!!! Thanks for sharing !!!!
 
I figured I would be seein more around town this season cause there may not be much forage in the woods due to the drouth. There has been a few spotted around. The biggest problem we may have is pickin up trash from a dumpster those guys have turned over. Hard to believe how strong they are. I was charged by a sow once. We were havin too many encounters with her and her cub, and everybody was doin their best to harass them with noise. I was chasing her around the neighborhood before daylight and I guess she got tired of playing. A false charge so I stood my ground, but conceded the field to her. Scary yeah, but one of the coolest things I'd ever experienced.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom