What's new

Got my first ever war nickel

Jimmy@romega

Full Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2008
Messages
241
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
rome, ga
1945 s out of a vending machine at work. Poor condition little bit beat up but it's still silver (35%) ??
 
Upvote 0
I've been seeing more and more of them in circulation. maybe a sign of the times ?
 
How much silver is in a 35% nickel as compared to a 90% dime? Is it comparable?
 
I know that a 40% half has just under what a 90% quarter has in silver. Check out this web site to find your answer. Type in just one of each coin and it will give you the amount of silver in the coin. I think you will like this site. I always fool around with it by putting an imaginary silver value of say $100 per ounce and typing in the amount of each type of coin that I have to figure out how rich I will be. Have fun with it. Oh and on the left side there are calculators to figure out foreign coin silver break downs.

Golden Silver


http://www.silverrecyclers.com/Calculators/coin_calculator.aspx
 
golden silver said:
I know that a 40% half has just under what a 90% quarter has in silver. Check out this web site to find your answer. Type in just one of each coin and it will give you the amount of silver in the coin. I think you will like this site. I always fool around with it by putting an imaginary silver value of say $100 per ounce and typing in the amount of each type of coin that I have to figure out how rich I will be. Have fun with it.

Golden Silver


http://www.silverrecyclers.com/Calculators/coin_calculator.aspx

Wow, cool site. Thanks for the post. I am going to bookmark that one.
 
No prob AG. If you look on the left side there are foreign coin silver break downs.

Golden Silver
 
Latest on coinflation shows a war nickel at 20x face value in silver (currently at .99) while a silver dime is at 12.7x FV in silver ($1.27).

-Happyspider
 
Happy spider,

You can easily pick up silver war nickels for way under melt. Not so with dimes.
 
If I remember correctly, war nickels had magnesium added to them to make them harder to melt? Do smelters even accept war nickels for melt?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom