Got my Surfmaster PI today!!

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received my Surfmaster PI today. Looked like it came from the dump. It amazes me how some people send out their stuff. I bought it used from someone who is not a MD'er, they sell all kinds of stuff. It looked so nice in the pic. Came covered in dirt and grime, in a crushed box with no padding or anything, coil on backwards! Spent a few hours de-assembling it and cleaning it. Now she looks brand new!! Also no battery holder?? The listing said they tested it and it worked fine. How did they do that without a battery holder?? Going to Radio Shack tonight to get a battery holder. Hope everything works. Question, because I'm new to water detectors. I notice the headphones and wire from the box don't disconnect without a wrench. Should I just always leave them attached? Thanks in advance...Rich.

Upvote 0

golddredgergold

Dec 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
DFX, Gold Master 2, Surfmaster PI, TF900, Falcon MD20, Arc Geo Logger
They do NOT come off with a wrench! Those are water tight seal fittings. The headphones and coil are hard wired in. The wires go straight through and solder on the board. No reason to take them off. I love my Surf PI. They work great and I am sure you will like yours. Have fun and be ready to dig. The threshold will krackle and move around but you will know when you are over a target even the light sound of a target will come through with a repeatable rise in threshold. Have fun.

cloviscliff

Jul 15, 2008
South Tx
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's m6, Fisher 1210, Garrett ACE 250, White's surf PI Pro, White's DF, Fisher F75se, Fisher 1236x2, Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Gold said they are hard wired and do not come off. They are great machines. Get ready to dig deep targets. Little advise most double blips are iron targets.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it has the older style box with the black o-ring, test it in the sink without batteries in it before taking it in the water. Also make sure the surfaces are clean and use silicone grease on the o-ring. Good luck with it and have fun.

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
GibH said:
If it has the older style box with the black o-ring, test it in the sink without batteries in it before taking it in the water. Also make sure the surfaces are clean and use silicone grease on the o-ring. Good luck with it and have fun.
words of wisdom...glad to see that an old SurfMaster PI found a good new home...they are great machines...enjoy!
Limo Bob :icon_pirat:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the new PI. :thumbsup:

If you are going to take it in the water you can fill a sock with sand for weight so you don't have to always force it down near the bottom as the coil floats like a cork. Invest in a strong stainless steel scoop because the PI will reach deep for them. Have fun and go at it.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread