GOT OUT FOR A ROAD TRIP AND FINDING NEW PLACES!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So one of our hunting buddies tells me while out looking for arrowheads, they came across a spot covered with glass and old flat boards. Were thinking this could be one of the old salt mines located in the middle of nowhere in the desert. So I figure why not. My son had school (he wasn't happy) and missed out. Off we go and it takes us about 2 hours to get to the location. We didn't grid search and didn't have a lot of time how long it took to get there. Anyway, after walking around and seeing how much "stuff" was on the ground, I knew something had to be there. This spot is near the Smoke Creek Desert in Nevada and if anyone knows anything about this place........THERE IS NOTHING OUT THERE!!!!

After lots of buttons and Henry Casings, I get a solid 91-92 on the Deus. I dig and see a green disc. I'm thinking cool' maybe and Indian Penny. Then I noticed the reeded edge and knew it was a dime. Couldn't tell much in the field but we could tell she was a Barber. (After an overnight soaking she was a 1893-S) My buddy hasn't had much and started walking over to his dad who called him over to check an area covered with glass and garbage. On his way over, he yells back at me and with a few choice works; tells me he has seated. Sure enough a seated quarter. It has certainly seen its better days and we still cant cofirm the date which appeared to be 1873 with arrows. Anyway; I told my son and we will be heading back out in a couple of weeks weather permitting.

take care and enjoy.....

dime1.jpg

dime3.jpg

dime2.jpg

dime4.jpg

dime5.jpg

saltmine.jpg

Upvote 15
Wow you don't see quartz arrowheads that often. Seriously cool finds, lots of history there for sure, thanks for sharing.

Very nice work finding that spot, It's amazing how different soil affects the coins differently. I hope your son gets to find some good stuff along with you guys next time. Thanks for sharing your hunt, nice pix.

Very nice BM. Glad to see you getting out giving the Deus a workout.

Congrats!

WTG Bman, glad to see you found another promising site. I have some places that I want to hunt that are a few hours away, but, until I deplete the promising sites in my local area, I hate to drive 4 to 6 hour round trip to hunt for just a few hours. I am looking forward to your future finds form this site. GL & HH

Nice finds! Congrats!
There sure was something going on out there in the middle of now where years ago.
You just may dig up a nice surprise!

That would be a banner day in my book... Couple of Quartz arrowheads, couple old silvers...
Even the "Head Light" overalls button is a score...I have found some "head light" buttons in a 1912 logging camp... Thinking your sight is turn of the century.
good luck on your return trip.

Always wondered where 'Lassen County ' was..

Nice old coin finds, your Barber turned out Nice, & a Early Barber is ALWAYS a Sweet Find.

Those Points are AWESOME ....I still never found a Complete one, Just don't have an eye for them.

Worth the Drive, Def, get your Son out there when you can.
Davers

Oh yeah, really like Overall Buttons as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back