Got out Prospecting

Medina Joe

Jul 4, 2014
Medina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a little gold this weekend, But have a few questions about 2 rocks, Out of the 3 rock, one is a cool fossil. Can anyone can help me ID the rocks, Also the bazooka works great. I does catch very small gold. pro 1.JPG pro2.JPG pro4.JPG Pro3.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Medina Joe

Jul 4, 2014
Medina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will dry them today, and post a pic of the gold tomorrow

OP
OP
M

Medina Joe

Jul 4, 2014
Medina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a pic of the rocks dry, also my miller table running cons IMG_1263.JPG IMG_1262.JPG IMG_1261.JPG IMG_1264.JPG

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! The first appears to be a fine-grained Schist.

Here is an example from the web:

schist10.jpg

The Quartz specimen appears to have a Chromium-bearing Mica spread throughout (Fuchsite). Is it slightly green? -Luke

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I would be looking out for Garnets and Corundum (Ruby & Sapphire) as well. Looks like you're in a hot spot for mineralization. :occasion14:

OP
OP
M

Medina Joe

Jul 4, 2014
Medina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No green, I will be crushing both up and running it through the miller table.

Luke, Being in Ohio, when I prospect I look for non native minerals In large numbers. I mainly search out Kames & Eskers and Ground Moraines Looking for gold deposits. I just started researching minerals so I can have a idea of where they came from. This is really helping me narrow down what creeks & rivers to prospect and if they came from gold bearing regions. I think if my memory is correct we have had 7 ice age glaicers come through Ohio. Everyone says the Illinoian produces the best gold, but I'm not buying it. So little research has been done in ohio its not even funny. Now in Indiana they have lots of research done. I think by using my maps learning my minerals, locating Kames & Eskers and Ground Moraines, I should be able to find better gold deposits then fly poop. Last year I found 3 grams and hoping to double that number.

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That must be an interesting search for gold, especially in the moraines. Is it mainly fine gold?

OP
OP
M

Medina Joe

Jul 4, 2014
Medina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now I have found more fine gold, a few pickers. I have a few creeks I'm trying to fine tune. If I run three 5 gallon buckets I get about 10 specks, and that's only digging down a foot or 2. So what I'm trying to figure out is if its flood gold coming of a side of a moraine and only the top 12 inches. Should I take a sample on each layer and find out what one is the pay layer and only run that?

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I would dig numerous holes; panning the material at designated depths. Pan the material separately for any layers you detect. That can help you distinguish where the gold is settling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions