CASPER-2
Platinum Member
- Joined
- Jan 3, 2012
- Messages
- 17,375
- Reaction score
- 20,667
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- NEW ENGLAND
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
little sore from hunting all day Monday - but sun was out even though it was a little cold out - 34 degrees when I woke up
but figured snow may be right around the corner and decided to run out for a couple hours. Went to a small field behind a bunch of
early 1700s houses - someone had been there but it looked like they jumped around. Went to a small spot that I did not see any
foot prints. Got a few small musketballs and a couple of small butons. Then I got a nice coin sounding target. Dug down about 8 inches
- got it out of the hole and got pinpointer out - saw the rim and first thought coin but when I picked it up it seemed awfully thin - was definitely not a large cent or KG copper - so thought it was a button - but saw no shank or remnants of a shank - its really smooth.
I could make out outline of a bust - flipped it over and could make out what looked to be a crown on to of a harp.
After to getting it home and looking on line - it appears to be a William III half penny - 1696
Nothing to look at but at least I got a colonial coin. Don't know what the "K" came off of - don't know if could be military or not.
The half of a tombac button - when I saw in the dirt the silvery face of it was up and I thought I had a cut piece of silver.
The larger flat button is an oldie...the 2 small cuff flat buttons with star bursts were found bout 50 yrds apart. Was nice to get out
could have done better - could have done worse for 2-3 hrs.

but figured snow may be right around the corner and decided to run out for a couple hours. Went to a small field behind a bunch of
early 1700s houses - someone had been there but it looked like they jumped around. Went to a small spot that I did not see any
foot prints. Got a few small musketballs and a couple of small butons. Then I got a nice coin sounding target. Dug down about 8 inches
- got it out of the hole and got pinpointer out - saw the rim and first thought coin but when I picked it up it seemed awfully thin - was definitely not a large cent or KG copper - so thought it was a button - but saw no shank or remnants of a shank - its really smooth.
I could make out outline of a bust - flipped it over and could make out what looked to be a crown on to of a harp.
After to getting it home and looking on line - it appears to be a William III half penny - 1696
Nothing to look at but at least I got a colonial coin. Don't know what the "K" came off of - don't know if could be military or not.
The half of a tombac button - when I saw in the dirt the silvery face of it was up and I thought I had a cut piece of silver.
The larger flat button is an oldie...the 2 small cuff flat buttons with star bursts were found bout 50 yrds apart. Was nice to get out
could have done better - could have done worse for 2-3 hrs.
Upvote
14

Funny you say that about the tombac, because that happens to me all the time. Cut silver can come in at all numbers on the Deus and those tombacs come out of the dirt in my area looking like patinaed old silver. ha






