Got this yesterday and trying to find information on it

icedgold10

Apr 14, 2013
Saco, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lizzard 004.JPG lizzard 003.JPG lizzard 005.JPG I posted it in artifacts but no real response. Does anyone have input on origin or age?

Upvote 0

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have you tried the what is it forum thats where it should have been placed for an id

OP
OP
I

icedgold10

Apr 14, 2013
Saco, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does. I thought it was a lizard. I am wondering if mine is older because of the spotting from mineral deposits? Thank you Phil!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am seeing something on the pot bottom, maybe a makers mark? Can you read it or draw it for us?

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does. I thought it was a lizard. I am wondering if mine is older because of the spotting from mineral deposits? Thank you Phil!

The spotting just could be due to the firing process. You can fire certain type of clay in a wood kiln vs a elec kiln. The ash gets on the pieces and can spot it like that. (My GF is a potter)

Phil_The_Rodent

May 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is beatiful. To my eye, it is probably the same maker (or factory) as the piece on ebay, but is more sophisticated, with the more tapered design and the white instead of green pattern. So, I'd say built later.

The ebay piece was hand-made in the southwest and is listed as vintage but not antique, so somewhere between 20-100 years old.

OP
OP
I

icedgold10

Apr 14, 2013
Saco, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any makers mark on it. I think the marks are maybe from what it was placed on during firing process.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

if you look closely, VERY closely at the details of yours and compare it to the eBay one above, I think you will find that they match up exactly (look at the chip for instance on the top spine of the iguana). This would indicate that it is not hand made in the sense that it was a pinch pot or thrown but instead is a cast piece.

If you research the eBay piece you will find that it has been for sale for a while on different sites for different prices....I found 150, 165 and 200$...with VERY little description...which is suspicious and suggests to me that the seller knows EXACTLY what it is but is trying to get top dollar without lying outright.

I think your pot is from Mexico and no older than the 1950's but more likely the 70's. It was probably originally sold in a local U.S. "Mexican arts store", bought in a small batch from the actual Mexican family maker.

Phil_The_Rodent

May 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not cast. Look at the brow line, the bicep size, the leg splay, the body girth, the spout angle, etc.

The are certainly not the same. But, they are remarkably close.

Anyways, having someone selling one provides a VERY easy resource for asking questions.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
i thought the same thing at first, but I suspect if you could take shots at the same angles as the eBay piece you would see that they are the same. I believe the perspective is playing tricks.

OP
OP
I

icedgold10

Apr 14, 2013
Saco, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look very close I think theirs was electric kiln fired and mine is wood fired. As a person posted the sparks from wood can hit the piece causing the deposite look.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
take some photos that try to mimic the ones for the shots on eBay, that will give us more info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread