Gov. Cooper signs bill repealing ‘Blackbeard’s Law’; videographer continues litigation against state

Divertwrk

Jul 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“The repeal came after eight years of litigation and is apparently triggered by the State’s realization that it had no legitimate defense to at least one of the federal court claims: that Blackbeard’s Law was a constitutionally prohibited ‘Bill of Attainder’ — a bill that targets and harms an individual, without any due process at all.” https://www.carolinacoastonline.com/national/article_25abebbe-3528-11ee-b6a3-631e92d4322a.html

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good news for Mr. Allen and company. I can't imagine the expense of a decade of litigation vs State of NC, whew..

The Maritime Museum in Beaufort has amazing exhibits and artifacts from the QAR. The museum itself may be smaller compared to those found in large cities, but it's Piracy content is definitely world-class!

I've been 4 times since I moved to nearby Wilmimgton last year !!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the state pirated the privately owned photos taken of a pirate ship, ironic but not suprising. In this situation Blackbeard himself would have at least given an equal share of the royalties to the photographer and settled any disagreement over a five minute game of Liar's Dice instead of pursuing ten years of tedious litigation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread