What's new

Grandfathers Axes

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2005
Messages
1,178
Reaction score
446
Golden Thread
0
Location
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
Here are some of my grandfathers better axes and celts from Flint City. The big black granite full groove weighs over 10lbs. It was found about 2/10ths of a mile from our main site, down the bluff. The smaller 3/4 groove has the best polish we've found up there. Also another big 3/4 groove and a nice little Celt. Interesting story behind the full groove. The first artifact my grandfather found when buying this farm was a big Metate in his hog lot. He cleaned it up and put it in his living room. They're house caught fire and everything was a total loss. The cold water from the fire hoses just obliterated the Metate. Cracked it into pieces. A year to the day of the fire my grandfather was digging a water line and out came that huge axe.
image.webpimage.webpimage.webpimage.webpimage.webpimage.webpimage.webp
 
Upvote 0
Killer Johnny X. Sorry about the fire and glad he was ok. I imagine that was some fire pop on that stone. Looks like the gods were smiling at him though with the axes. They are museum quality. I hope you keep them in the family for generations.
Thanks for the view of artifacts from the field that keeps on giving!
 
Nice stuff Johnny. The story is cool also. I hate to hear of homes catching on fire. Still, the coincidence of that axe being found a year to the day! Odd! I do not believe in coincidence. I think a larger power replaced his artifact
 
Some fine looking axes
 
The AXE man !!!!!! I'm jealous haha
 
Incredible looking axe, and an awesome find! :icon_thumleft:
 
Great axes... you are lucky to be on such a fruitful ground man...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Thanks guys! I often wonder what's underneath the rest of the farm that isn't plowed...
 
:icon_scratch: Now your not going to be able to have a good nights rest. Sweet Dreams! But don't take a shovel to bed with you.
 
Great collection:icon_thumleft: and I too wonder about the things still in the ground, makes your dreams wild some times.:laughing7:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom