What's new

Great bag, but could have been better....

lookin4coins

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2010
Messages
34
Reaction score
20
Golden Thread
0
Hi folks,

Last week I picked up $500 in halves, searched them and also dumped them at another "dump" bank in that town. As I was dumping, the half bag filled up and needed to be changed.

As the rest of you do, I took the opportunity to quickly scan the bag as it lay there on the floor. This time I saw the mother load. Lots of silver!

So I thought to myself... I have to leave with this bag!

Unfortunately, they couldn't figure out how to balance the ledger with the coin to cash exchange. So I had to leave it sit there on the notion that I could come back the next day if they could figure out how to do it.

That was a long drive home!!!!!! I saw 5 Walking Liberty halves and tooooooo many Kennedy's to count. I figured it probably wasn't going to happen.

But, I got a call the next morning from the manager saying they figured it out and I could come up to get it.

With $1000 in hand I set a time record for the road trip between here and there. Thank goodness for no troopers on the stretch of highway that day.

Picked up the bag and came home. Every handful I pulled out contained many silver coins.

When it was all done, I ended up with 140-40%, 10-90%, 2-WL and 1 Ben.

For those of you that noticed, I was missing at least 3 WL. I definitely saw 5 when I was there on Thursday, but only ended up with 2. Obviously someone dipped in and grabbed at least 3 Walking Liberties. I can only imagine the amount of 90%'s that someone pulled out with the 3 they took for sure.

Good news... at least they left me a bunch of 40%'s. I guess you can't blame them. Every job has it's percs. I'm glad they left me a good quantity.

I was happy to intercept a load of silver before it got back into the system. Lately my half bags have been kind of dismal and would have taken forever to collect that load 5-10 coins per week.

Here's my split with an unknown CRH teller...

picture-7.jpg


Good luck to you all on your next pick up!!!!
 
Upvote 0
You should play "Spot The Ben" in your picture. I found it.... :tongue3:

Nice haul of silver... :icon_thumright:
 
That is one heck of a purty pic! Just beautiful. :icon_sunny: Looks like it just came out of a treasure chest.

apush :read2:
 
Fantastic haul :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Nice bankers to hold that bag for you. Hope you can get another one.
HH
Rich
 
Rich Hartford said:
Fantastic haul :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Nice bankers to hold that bag for you. Hope you can get another one.
HH
Rich

Yep, she said that I could buy the bags whenever I wanted. :headbang:

Since all of the silver was congregated in the bottom 3rd of the bag, I politely asked her this week if there was another bag that filled up right before this one. She checked, but reported they had no other half bags ready to send out today. Whatever went into the bag before this one was already sent back to the courier. So, I can only guess that some silver will make it back to the rollers.

Although I like picking up silver at face value, I can't help but feel a little bad for the people dumping it into the machines. If only they knew..... :help:

Anyway, thanks for everyone's comments. Just thought it was a story you folks would appreciate. :)
 
Those halves look very much like they all lived together for sometime. My guess is it was one person that dumped them. Probably had silver dimes and quarters as well.
 
JD-GA said:
Those halves look very much like they all lived together for sometime. My guess is it was one person that dumped them. Probably had silver dimes and quarters as well.

Yeah, that was my thought as well. All of the silver was resting at the bottom of the bag. Before I broke into it, I rotated the bag on all axis's to mix them up so I could pull silver out in each handful.

I, too, wondered about the quarters, dimes and nickels. I just didn't want to push it right off the bat.

After buying that bag from the coin machine... I figured I just lost a dump bank. Not sure if I would feel right about walking back into that bank to dump more coins. I'll probably just pick up the bags of halves from there now.

My problem is balancing my pick-ups to dumps. I have a lot more banks that order me halves and dimes compared to the one's I can dump at. Ratio is about 3:1.

Good luck!
 
Congrats! Great looking haul !

Use half dollars for groceries and othe purchases see if you have food store with a coinstar that sells gift certificates to other stores.

Cheers!
 
Nice pickup. Why I love bags off the counters. Think my best bag had 128 silvers in it.
 
Beautiful photo of a great find!! Thank you for sharing your find! It was almost like being there!
- Grizz
 
They probably only left the 40%ers because they didn't know they were silver too!!
 
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im speechless!!!
PS i had a hard time spotting the ben at 1st too, but it was a fun game! :laughing9:
 
Speachless, tons of silver, congrats

DW
 
Thats a sweet bag. I hope I get one filled with silver like that.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom