Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit an old small town in the country with a buddy today. We stopped and visited with an "old-timer" who told us about where a church and its parsonage had been, and then gave us the "Holy Grail"... told us where the now long-abandoned town picnic grounds were! We found the picnic grounds and expect to have many good hunts in there, but currently it is overgrown with stinging nettles, horsetail, jewelweed, and wild parsnip (nasty stuff... Google it). Still, he got a 1901 Indian and I got a 1917 Merc there.

Next, we hit the old church site where I found a Conestoga bell and a stunning 2 cent piece (my 3rd). My buddy found another Indian there.

Finally, on the way home, we stopped at a park in another town, where I found a 1942 Merc. It started to rain, so we left and hit a local bar for a beer. On the wall, they had a photograph from the 1930s or 40's of what the photo had labeled as "Tourist Park". I quickly realized that it was the park that we had just come from!

FotITP9.jpg

The condition of this coin just stuns me! You can even still see some actual copper metal!

sfUIZl6.jpg WDAv4pr.jpg

Upvote 41
That 2-center is a beaut.

Congrats

Awesome 2¢ piece!

Nice bell and nice silver. That 2 cent piece came out looking great. Congrats

I believe what you actually see is bronze, which is still 95% copper. But the alloy of copper, tin, and zinc is why two-cent pieces are found in such great condition as seen in your excellent coin! :icon_thumleft: Great digs!

Stunning finds:occasion14:

Beautiful 2 cent piece! :icon_thumleft:

Great two center! Sounds like a really memorable and fun day! Congrats on it and thanks for sharing!

I believe what you actually see is bronze, which is still 95% copper. But the alloy of copper, tin, and zinc is why two-cent pieces are found in such great condition as seen in your excellent coin! :icon_thumleft: Great digs!
Technically, true. I just meant the coppery-looking metal. Wasn't trying to be technical. But even bronze of that age is generally heavily patina-d.

Time for a controlled bur, /Round up and a jigungus lawn mower then start rippin

Time for a controlled bur, /Round up and a jigungus lawn mower then start rippin

And a WHAT? LOL!!

Yeah, trust me... Round Up & controlled burn have both passed my mind. Any idea if Agent Orange is available in Army Surplus stores?

We're thinking about bringing a tarp in and using that to flatten the weeds.

That 2-center is awesome!:thumbsup: I didn`t know they were ever found this far west.:tongue3:

That 2-center is awesome!:thumbsup: I didn`t know they were ever found this far west.:tongue3:

That makes 3 for me now, all from Minnesota, two 1865, and one 1866. As a matter of fact, all of these came from Minnesota:

VdHVDQx.jpg

Oops... I should have included this:

e9dX41x.jpg 73wRkgH.jpg

Last edited:
Nice haul!!!! I think we should make Minnesota a state, I mean really, it’s about time. Anyway, I have a 1900’s baseball field permission in Vermont in that condition, chest deep in living kindling. The owner (who likes to detect with me) might invest in some goats and some rope.

:icon_thumright:

Nice haul!!!! I think we should make Minnesota a state, I mean really, it’s about time. Anyway, I have a 1900’s baseball field permission in Vermont in that condition, chest deep in living kindling. The owner (who likes to detect with me) might invest in some goats and some rope.

:icon_thumright:

GOATS! Yes! And when you're finished with the area, you can eat them!

What's with the ropes... is that to tie them up on the way to the butcher shop?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back