Great Eastern Hotel key fob led to a great site.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug the fob pictured below here in TN a few weeks ago. When I showed it to the owner his Mrs. seemed to have a real fascination for it so I gave it to her. Went back to get pics of it a few days ago and really found a great story about the site. I knew the landowner's home was relatively new but constructed on the site of a much older home. I have been hunting a little ghost town here in TN that was started in 1812. The original home at the site was one of the early ones. I actually found the fob at what was supposedly slave or tenant quarters across the road from the main home. When I brought up how odd it seemed that one of our farmers was a world traveler I was floored by what they told me. His family was actually very prominent and the grounds near where I found the fob once contained a bandstand and even tennis courts. A spring that runs out had several little foot bridges across and that side of the road actually resembled a park. Many parties and weddings etc took place on the property up through the early 1900's. More than one of the family was known to have traveled extensively. Now it is a jumbled mess and pretty much a marsh as the beavers keep damming below the spring. Very unlikely to get to hunt much of it as it literally too thick to even walk through but one to keep my eye on in case the ever clear it.

A note about the Great Eastern Hotel: It was the grandest hotel in India for decades and started in the 1840's. Literally a huge structure in its heyday. I doubt the fob is much older than 1900 as it appears to be made of aluminum.

DSCF3019.JPG DSCF3020.JPG
great eastern hotel 2.jpg

Upvote 5

Saabman

Aug 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
F75
Sweet find!!! TN is rich with weird and strange happenings.......especially East TN. Good luck and HH!!!

OP
OP
TNGUNS

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey........ we gotta watch the deer comments. ha ha

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Little mysteries like that help keep our hobby interesting, don't they? Giving the lady that fob helped you secure future hunts. Thanks for sharing the story and great pics.Btw, I see you use the vibraprobe.....how do you like that? I am thinking my next pointer purchase will be one if it gets good reviews from folks here. I like to water hunt.

Last edited:

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes Tennessee is very mystical, many native American tribes would not venture there, it was sacred ground to them.
Great find, thats a key? huh? got any idea how it worked? yeah wait until the leaves are of the tree's and maybe you can spot some small clear places, and and if ever start clearing it no tellin what that site would produce.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes Tennessee is very mystical, many native American tribes would not venture there, it was sacred ground to them.
Great find, thats a key? huh? got any idea how it worked? yeah wait until the leaves are of the tree's and maybe you can spot some small clear places, and and if ever start clearing it no tellin what that site would produce.

It's a key FOB, Bigscott. A fob is usually a decorative item carried on a key ring.In this case the fob had the practical purpose of identifying the room number and also the hotel if lost.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting what info that key fob unlocked for you! Congrats!

OP
OP
TNGUNS

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dude, like the VibraProbe fine. Funny I was thinking about a Garrett but really don't know why. You do have to have motion with the VibraProbe but still not an issue. It is actually the first pinpointer I have ever had. Didn't figure I really needed one and now would be lost without one.:icon_thumleft:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old Dude, like the VibraProbe fine. Funny I was thinking about a Garrett but really don't know why. You do have to have motion with the VibraProbe but still not an issue. It is actually the first pinpointer I have ever had. Didn't figure I really needed one and now would be lost without one.:icon_thumleft:
Thanks for answering. Is that the waterproof model? That is why I was interested in it.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
TNGUNS

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep....... it is waterproof.

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and very interesting story