• 0316012234.jpg
    0316012234.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 405
Upvote 0

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Nice find. Unfortunately, unless you find the rest of it, you will never know what kind of point it is. The most important factor in determining a point type is the basal form. Your base is gone. Looks like it was a pretty one. Look around, maybe the rest of it is near, and there are probably others!

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
I think what he is saying is that its a snapped base point. Meaning it was completed that way. I have a few perfects with flat snapped base. Dont know the style of point though

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Oh, I see now... the shoulders do end on this one. I missed that at first. I thought it was a tip (no size reference and it looked like just a tip at first). I suppose it could be a snapped base point but I'm not convinced they made them that way intentionally. I think the term "snapped base" was invented by a creative artifact dealer. Most people in the field tend to agree from what I've found.

Without a base, it is still hard to identify it unless the blade has identifiable features, which this doesn't really from what I can tell by the pics. We don't know if it had an expanding or contracting stem, notches, bifurcate, or what at the base. A "snapped base" kirk or pinetree, clay county, bolen bevel, etc... would be easily identifiable because the blade is unique to each point style. This might be identified with some certainty if it is found in context with other points of similar blade construction and flaking properties. Knowing where it came from can also help. As it is right now, I don't think it can be identified.
Still a nice find though, don't get me wrong. I'd be pounding that area for more. Look for water sources in the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread