What's new

Great Hunt! LARGE COPPER BONANZA! ... Nice Variety Too.

Evolution

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
5,285
Reaction score
2,483
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a hunt with a couple buddies today. Hit a site that ended up producing quite a few good finds. A foundation that dates back into the 1700s. My first find of the day was a Matron Head Large Cent. Ended up finding another LC about 5 minutes later to make two within the first 10 minutes of the hunt. Couldn't get a date off the Matron Head.

20160903_110153_resized.webp 20160903_110207_resized.webp 20160903_113744_resized.webp

Second find about 5 minutes later was another large cent. This one was a 1798 draped bust at about 4 inches deep.

20160916_103300_resized.webp 20160916_103417_resized.webp 20160916_103421_resized.webp

Picked up a few buttons and then got another high tone signal that slightly lower than the large cent signals. This one read up as a 12-39 on the e-trac. Turned out to be a nice 1782 Irish Halfpenny. I'm pretty sure most of these were counterfeit here in the States.

20160916_113756_resized.webp 20160916_113806_resized.webp 20160916_113810_resized.webp

20160916_180242_resized.webp 20160916_180311_resized.webp

An hour or so later after a few more buttons and two indian head cents I hit another solid unwavering copper signal. A solid 12-45. Turned out to be a New Jersey State copper. I was surprised because my buddy had just found one himself about a half hour before mine. Definitely different varieties though because mine is slightly smaller in diameter and the horse head on the obverse as well as the points on the top of the shield on the reverse are different. I'm thinking this might be a Maris 48-G small planchet variety but I'm certainly no expert. I'm hoping some knowledgeable colonial/post colonial coin experts might weigh in here to give me a hand and a more positive ID. . I'll include a couple side by side pics for comparison purposes.

20160916_145222_resized.webp 20160916_145322_resized.webp 20160916_145417_resized.webp
20160916_175649_resized.webp

Here are the comparison pics. Mine is the one on the right in these two pics. My buddy (Fattony315) found the one on the left. Check out his post as well. He had a great day.

20160916_180145_resized.webp 20160916_180210_resized.webp

One of the indian heads I found turned out to be a semi-key date 1873.

20160916_175547.webp

One of the buttons was a pretty nice dandy with an interesting design.

20160916_144630_resized.webp 20160916_144638_resized.webp

Here's a few compilation pics. The one with everything laid out on the tailgate of my truck is a combination of both my buddy's finds and mine.

20160916_175437_resized.webp 20160916_180117_resized.webp

20160916_154336_resized.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 60
Wow wow wow!, it should be against the law to have such a variety of coppers! Congrats man!
 
Dang that's a really crazy copper hunt! I have a feeling there's some Spanish hiding in there somewhere.
 
Dang that's a really crazy copper hunt! I have a feeling there's some Spanish hiding in there somewhere.
My buddy Tony (Fattony315) found a half real that was fashioned into a button there on the same day. Hopefully there are a couple more lingering there. Thanks for the reply.
 
Freaking Stunning Hunt! Congrats. Sub 8-)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom