Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone! I was able to hook up with fellow TNet poster Scolino today for a hunt at one of his awesome farm fields. (Thanks Scolino!).
We tried two new locations (new to him) first, but neither worked out for us, so we headed to a location he'd only detected one time before. During that initial 2-hour hunt he'd found a crotal bell, "buggy break" and a few other items so he was hopeful the site would have some good stuff.
And it didn't disappoint!

My finds are shown below on the green background.
My favorite of the day was the barrel tap; I hadn't found one of those before, and this one is almost completely intact. Unfortunately it's stuck in the "closed" position, so no more tapping barrels with it.

Notes on the other finds:
- The crotal bell is great even though it's beat up. It has its ringer ball, but no maker's mark.
- The musketball is about 0.64 inches so it was probably fired from a 0.69 caliber musket.
- The bird band (ring on right side of pic) is from a snow goose that was banded in Canada in 2000. No goose leg found - just the band.
- I've posted about the buttons in a separate post, because I can't figure out the left one. I believe the right one matches a Union Civil War pattern (too bad its so badly damaged - not by me). The "What is it?" post: https://www.treasurenet.com/threads...d-asking-for-confirmation-on-a-second.665091/
- (Not pictured) I did find a 1917 wheat penny in poor shape.

Scolino also found a crotal bell, or at least a large portion of one. If it were fully intact it would have been a big one!

He also found two great coins: an 1899 Barber Dime and an 1891 Indian Head Cent (That IHC is a beauty!!!). Scolino started the day saying "I hope each of us finds a coin from the 1800s" - I guess one of those was meant for me! Congrats to you Scolino, and again - thank you for taking me to one of your permissions!

- Brian

IMG_0783.jpg

Scolino's finds:
IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 13
Nov 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone! I was able to hook up with fellow TNet poster Scolino today for a hunt at one of his awesome farm fields. (Thanks Scolino!).
We tried two new locations (new to him) first, but neither worked out for us, so we headed to a location he'd only detected one time before. During that initial 2-hour hunt he'd found a crotal bell, "buggy break" and a few other items so he was hopeful the site would have some good stuff.

My favorite of the day was the barrel tap; I hadn't found one of those before, and this one is almost completely intact. Unfortunately it's stuck in the "closed" position, so no more tapping barrels with it.

- The crotal bell is great even though it's beat up. It has its ringer ball, but no maker's mark.
- The musketball is about 0.64 inches so it was probably fired from a 0.69 caliber musket.
- The bird band (ring on right side of pic) is from a snow goose that was banded in Canada in 2000. No goose leg found - just the band.
- I've posted about the buttons in a separate post, because I can't figure out the left one. I believe the right one matches a Union Civil War pattern (too bad its so badly damaged - not by me). The "What is it?" post: https://www.treasurenet.com/threads...d-asking-for-confirmation-on-a-second.665091/

Scolino found two great coins: an 1899 Barber Dime and an 1891 Indian Head Cent (That IHC is a beauty!!!). Scolino started the day saying "I hope each of us finds a coin from the 1800s" - I guess one of those was meant for me! Congrats to you Scolino, and again - thank you for taking me to one of your permissions!

- Brian

View attachment 1999198

View attachment 1999199
View attachment 1999200

View attachment 1999201
Congrats on all your finds! Definitely liking the barrel tap. 👍🏻

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scolino also found a crotal bell, or at least a large portion of one. If it were fully intact it would have been a big one!

He also found two great coins: an 1899 Barber Dime and an 1891 Indian Head Cent (That IHC is a beauty!!!). Scolino started the day saying "I hope each of us finds a coin from the 1800s" - I guess one of those was meant for me! Congrats to you Scolino, and again - thank you for taking me to one of your permissions!

- Brian

View attachment 1999198

Scolino's finds:
View attachment 1999202
View attachment 1999199
View attachment 1999200

View attachment 1999201
Congratulations. On your nice recoveries and great teamwork well done

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

- Brian

View attachment 1999198

Scolino's finds:
View attachment 1999202
View attachment 1999199
View attachment 1999200

View attachment 1999201
great saves, looks like a fun hunt. love that silver and IHP (in great shape) and the tap. thanks for posting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that item on the left is a Chinese coin, it's probably from the 1800's, maybe even the 1700's! Soak that barrel tap in some vinegar for a couple of days. That might free it up so that the handle turns. If not, try a propane torch on it if you really want to get it to move again. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If that item on the left is a Chinese coin, it's probably from the 1800's, maybe even the 1700's! Soak that barrel tap in some vinegar for a couple of days. That might free it up so that the handle turns. If not, try a propane torch on it if you really want to get it to move again. :icon_thumright:
Thanks for the vinegar suggestion cudamark. I have put the tap in some; let's see what happens.
The circular item with the square hole is just a saddle rosette (I believe). N writing on it, just that circular pattern on the outside.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread