What's new

Great pick up.....I think...Help!!!

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2007
Messages
1,774
Reaction score
569
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Hey guys
Went on a road trip today that was horrible. But half way through I stopped at this one bank. As I was leaving the teller asked if I was a coin collector and I said YES. She said she had some state quarters I might want. I normally dont get these but I was interested what she had. She took out 29 dunbar rolls of quarters and said an old grandmother was collecting them for her grandchildren. I havent looked through all of them yet, but it looks to be solid AU rolls from the start of the program in 1999 til now. Any idea if these are worth anything.
Il post exactly what yrs and mint they are tonight.
Thanks
Keith
 
Upvote 0
I am sure if they are AU they carry some premium. I would think if they were in MINT marked rolls they would be worth more also. Not sure about being in Dunbar rolls. They may appear to be all same year but these are known to be "dirty" sometimes with other coins mixed in.
 
Check ebay or get a copy of the gray sheet. Gray sheet list values for mint state rolls and you can get one free sample if you contact them. There are some errors that will make some rolls worth a few more bucks or you might sell the whole set in one lot. Most state quarters are worth face value...unless you happen to have some Wisconsin extra leafs there!

Maine_Jim
 
if you have the money to spare i would just keep them for a while. the state quarter program is what brought the coin collecting hobby back to life. it would be better if they were mint rolls but the dunbar rolls are ok if you only got face value in them.
i may be wrong about what i am about to say and if so i am sure someone will chime in and correct me but i don't think the mint sold silver state quarters in rolls. the only ones the mint sold in rolls were the clad ones and the silver ones only came in the silver quarter and silver proof sets.
i do know that jim is right about the wisconsin quarters. there is a high leaf and a low leaf variation. both command hefty premiums in mint state. i only have one of each that i bought from a dealer when they first were found. paid too much for them at the time because no one knew how rare they were. i knew it was a chance i was taking but i really wanted one of each. if i am not mistaken i think the extra leafs came from the denver mint and we mainly get philly coins here where i am. anyway i would just keep them a while
 
i would hold onto them if i was u...could get a nice premium...keep it up and hh!
 
Get em. In my opinion anything can and will sell on ebay for a premium. good luck.

Golden Silver
 
ugotit22 said:
Hey guys
Went on a road trip today that was horrible. But half way through I stopped at this one bank. As I was leaving the teller asked if I was a coin collector and I said YES. She said she had some state quarters I might want. I normally dont get these but I was interested what she had. She took out 29 dunbar rolls of quarters and said an old grandmother was collecting them for her grandchildren. I havent looked through all of them yet, but it looks to be solid AU rolls from the start of the program in 1999 til now. Any idea if these are worth anything.
Il post exactly what yrs and mint they are tonight.
Thanks
Keith

I've actually tried to sell some. New Jersey in AU and BU condition, and Pennsylvania in same. Didn't get any bids over face value for them. Lost 50 cents on shipping when it was said and done.

Although it SOUNDS like they would sell for more, in reality mine did not. I think because so many people have saved state quarters, and also becasue so many are in circulation that people just aren't paying more than face. Good luck though. Many you will have better luck.

Iwould DEFINITELY OPEN the Wisconsin roll though and see if you have any leaf errors. I found one earlier this year while CRH. I kept it, but it is worth a nice profit if I wanted to sell.

I see a space problem if you want to keep the quarters. I keep pre 1960 nickels, wheat pennies, silver dimes and quarters, plus the 40% and 90% halves. By time you've done this a little while, you end up with quite a bit. PLus I now have 4 monster boxes of eagles. My safe is FULL, and keeping state rolls would be hard to do. I also keep ALL 2009 nickels and dimes I find (less than a roll of each so far, but I'll continue to gather them), 2009 territory quarters (Only 3 rolls of each), 1 roll of each 2009 penny design, and now 2010 quarters (If I ever GET them!) All the rolls of non silver (2009, 2010, etc) coins are in one box, so that is where the state quarters would go, and that box is also getting full. the 2009 quarters and pennies took a lot of that room. Oh - plus my NIFC halves are in that box too. Yes, eventually it comes down to space.

And did I mention I also separately keep all copper pennies? That is 3,200 pounds of copper in the garage. lolol. A block of copper pennies about the size of an upright piano right now! Too many things to keep!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom