Great Southern Beach Shootout (Friday)

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well, the GSBS is underway, and so far, everything is running smooth as silk. I got to the hotel around 4:00 and checked in. The staff at the Plaza Resort and Spa have been incredible, except for one employee who, when my wife was coming up in the elevator with all of my gear, commented to her, "Oh, you're one of those people", referring to one of the 200+ detectorists that took over the hotel for the weekend. I wish she would have told her that yeah, were those people who are paying your salary. Anyway, after checking in and browsing the exhibits, everyone got their detectors and had the first briefing. The rules were clear and consise, and in no time, we were on the beach for the Kellyco Hunt. A bunch of hunters on a relatively small field spells alot of false signals from each others machines, scoops, baskets, etc. but after we were able to spread out a bit, the finds started coming. Although my finds were less than stellar (see below), I am looking forward to tomorrow, and all of the goodies and old silver that will litter Daytona Beach... A couple of us plan on hitting the beach tonight around low tide to see what goodies we can pull from the surf. Will keep you posted over the weekend...

Attachments

• IM000630 (Small).JPG
    IM000630 (Small).JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 468
  • IM000632 (Small).JPG
    IM000632 (Small).JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 472
  • IM000635 (Small).JPG
    IM000635 (Small).JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 463
  • IM000638 (Small).JPG
    IM000638 (Small).JPG
    43 KB · Views: 474
Upvote 0

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG my friend it was nice meeting you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ocaliman,

It was a pleasure meeting you as well, look forward to hunting together. Congrats on winning the Whites Terra 50. ;)

OP
OP
Ocaliman

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Was glad to meet the both of you... The wife confiscated the new machine and has now decided she is going to start hunting.. Oh, well :P.. At least I got to put it together, and put the batteries in it...

DR

Feb 22, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excal 1000
Hey Ocaliman,
DR here. It was a blast hunting with ya at the Shootout.
I should have traded you my #21 dime for your Shiny new minelab.
I got a gold coin out of the deal though.
A US five dollar gold eagle 2003. Along with that my total for the hunts were 17 silver Rosies, 18 Mercs, 4 Silver George Washington Quarters, 1Benjamin Franklin Half and 37 of those new Washington Dollars. Oh and about 80 cent in clad from the KellyCo hunt.
I do a lot of river diving, so if you would care to hit the Suwannee River sometime, I have a boat always ready for me up there and private riverfront to base out of.
Again it was a pleasure meeting ya!

OP
OP
Ocaliman

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Man, that sounds like a plan... I will get with you as soon as I can get a few things taken care of on my end... And it sounds like you made out like a fat rat at the hunt. Can't be mad at a gold coin, no matter how it comes your way. ;D

DR

Feb 22, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excal 1000
10-4 Ocaliman.
I need get my tanks hydro'd but I have access to tanks up there as well so whenever is good for me.
As for being a fat rat at the shootout, If you would have seen Treasure_Hunter and myself at the Friday night all you could eat seafood and prime rib buffet you would have seen some very fat rats indeed! LOL

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Gee Whizzzz guys. If only I had known, I wouldda said HI. See the lady with the long grey pigtail? Thats me.... mumszie! Although I didn't hunt I had a great time too. I'm near the Suwanne river too.

DR

Feb 22, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excal 1000
Hi Back at ya mumzie. Yep a good time had by all at the shoot out I think it's safe to say.
That was my 1st time there and I plan to be there next year, Good Lord willing and all.
Your profile says your from Live Oak, I have friends in Live Oak.
Over near the Boys Ranch. You ever hunt the Suwanee Springs site?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread