Gold coins from the beach

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having found an almost mint condition First World War army badge on a local beach and a couple of Victorian copper coins that were unfortunately in very poor conditions due to wear before they were lost I decided to concentrate on the area in the hope of silver coins of the period.

As it happened they were one thing that didn't turn up but the Sovereigns did.
The first two were found with a Deepstar P.I. (11 inch coil). Not especially deep, six inches or so, but the beach sand was low at the time with metal girders showing that are normally under a foot or more of sand.
Needless to say with a turn of the tide, sand was piled in and I found no more gold with the exception of a couple of rings.
It took a few weeks before the sand shifted again and the first find got me excited as I could see the golden edge of a coin in a crack in a rock under the cliff face. When I managed to leaver it out with a lollipop stick it turned out to be Greek Owl coin but light for gold. It turned out to be a replica from a bracelet when I found the remains of the rest of the bracelet.

My detecting partner and myself then spent hours over the next couple of weeks to little effect....not even many modern coins.

We gave up at that point and concentrated on an area further up the coast that had produced hammered silver coins.

I kept an eye on the Sovereign site and every time I passed by, ran a detector over it. Eventually another Sovereign appeared, again found with the Deepstar. Unfortunately the rechargable battery though the size of a brick, decided it was time to drop into the red at this point (five hours detecting time at full power).
Back to the car for a back up detector, Minelab Sovereign with SunRay 12" coil. Rear mounted control box to balance the coil, Andy's U.K. straight shaft, U.S. stainless steel arm rest, remote mode change and a few other mods. Also a change of headphones. I prefer Greyghosts for the P.I. but Mole Superphones for the Minelab.
A scan of the whole area produced one pulltab and several bits of shrapnel left over from the war. I then returned to the spot that had produced the coin and dug off the drier top six inches over a large an area as I could until I ran out of energy. Getting to old for this game ! Detected the spoil...nothing. Into the hole and the last couple of coins decided to appear from five/six inches down.

Re the use of the Sovereign. On this beach there was little or no depth difference between all metal and minimum discrimination apart from the fact discrim. seems deeper due to the louder audio. I used all metal for the shaper pinpointing and because if there was any junk metal I wanted it out in case it was masking anything good.

The coins are George the Fifth 1913-1914. Good condition except for the milled edges that have some small chips/scuffs. One has sat against iron and has some staining that should come off.

Meanwhile the sand is back in and the beach is dead for the time being. I've even cleaned out the cliff top above in case the coins were lost there and had been washed out.
Roll on the winter storms.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 915
Upvote 0
Cool finds.

Maybe the weather will wash the sand out again.

Burt

Sovereign value for any year depends on the mint as well as the condition. The cache of 22 I found last year came out at £75 each $150. Those were mint, these are only going to fetch £30 or £40 each.
An Ottawa mint 1913 Sov. in VF condition is around £90 $180, whilst a 1916 comes in at £3000 $6000 so it worth keeping an eye out for the rare ones but because they make such big money they are now being forged so not the sort of thing to buy off E-Bay.

brian

man oh man u were on a solid hot goose for sure

great post as well...............

keep us in the loop

Hi Brian

Excellent finds well done, amazed that they are in such good condition, lets hope for good Bank holiday weather with loads of people on the beach.

Have you got a contact number or e-mail for Andy, I have been trying to get hold of one of his straight shafts but without success, any info greatly appreciated, keep up the good work.

Regards Rob

I just saw this. Well done.
I imagine it was quite a thrill having a multi-gold coin day.

Thanks for sharing
George

Andy should be at
[email protected]

If it bounces I should have his phone number somewhere.

Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back