Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello friends! Been a long time. Can someone help me with the base on this bottle, figuring out the maker etc? It belongs to a friend of ours. Thank you in advance.
4E146605-32DE-4B0C-9E9A-FBE83BA3C686.jpeg

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No one? Hope my post is showing up correctly.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a modern or vintage bottle that's supposed to look like an old colonial wine bottle or something. I'll try to explain why: one thing would be the seemingly intentional bubbling in the glass. Although you do often see very "seedy" chestnut flasks and other types of early bottles, this bubbling just doesn't look natural, it looks like a deliberate aesthetic choice. Second, the glass itself is too perfect and uniform in composition, completely free from any impurities whatsoever. I'm not saying that it should have a bunch of chunks floating around in it and swirls of other colours and all that, but this glass looks like you couldn't find an anomaly looking at it under a microscope. And lastly, the wet high-gloss surface of the glass, not a stain or scratch or scuff of any sort on there. You do sometimes see old glass come of out storage or the attic like this, but considering the other factors I'm going to guess that wasn't the case, I think this is a newer bottle made to look old. This is the kind of bottle that'd be fun to drink out of, it'd be fun to serve something out of this at a family dinner or gathering. Take care of it until you find out for sure though! We're only going off one picture here, and it's still a pretty bottle :)

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
My mom had a set of water glasses with the same color and similar pattern. They were about 12 oz. Glasses. I wonder if this would be a serving pitcher for a similar set. Hers were new in the mid to late 1970s

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool bottle, but it would help if you showed it in full. You inferred that the mark is on the base, but is that actually the case? Is it not on the body or the shoulder?

Nevertheless, itā€™s a Williamsburg VA reproduction of a historic Jamestown bottle (likely a wine bottle). The ā€˜Jā€™ with two stars in a circle was Jamestownā€™s seal. Usually these are reproductions of ā€˜onionā€™ (shape) bottles which may or may not have a handle. Theyā€™re often hand-blown in a traditional manner, with deliberate bubbles in the glass to simulate antiquity. The maker of yours has gone way over the top with the bubbles! It's likely not hand-blown.

These reproductions are no older than ā€˜vintageā€™ and usually from the 1960s. Lots of examples, but here are a few:

Jamestown1.jpg Jamestown2.jpg Jamestown3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for your responses everyone. I thought it could not be old as well. Thatā€™s the only picture he provided for us though and it was the neck of the bottle.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread