What's new

Green glass slag

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2016
Messages
4,424
Reaction score
9,427
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these chunks of what looks like green glass. What is it? What produces it? I can post better photos tomorrow in the daylight.

D340C38D-9281-4EA8-9651-065C1A7668A7.webp
16C206B4-F50A-4878-A24D-137EB2573533.webp
 
There's probably an old iron furnace like in the pic below, near you. They dumped the slag nearby, usually pretty close. In TN I found glass slag from a furnace that covered a whole hillside where they dumped. I was able to chip a few arrowheads from the glass for the archaeologist I was with. Here is a pic of some slag like yours. Gary

iron furnace.webpiron furnace slag.webp
 
Upvote 0
Very interesting. I actually saw something there that I thought might have been a lead ingot, now i wonder if it was actually an “iron pig” produced by an iron furnace.

Thanks for the information.
 
Upvote 0
Todd is right on the money, Looks like iron slag to me.
 
Upvote 0
It's smelting furnace slag, that stuff is everywhere out here from the old steel mills. Some of it is pretty nice looking and can be cut and polished for jewelry.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom