S SAShew Tenderfoot Joined Mar 18, 2021 Messages 1 Reaction score 0 Golden Thread 0 Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Mar 18, 2021 #1 Found this green rock in a field in Southeast Illinois. Anyone know what it is? It has not been polished, just rinsed off the dirt. Attachments PXL_20210318_153538870.webp 1.1 MB · Views: 80 PXL_20210318_151918653.webp 1,022.3 KB · Views: 63 PXL_20210318_151834849.webp 1.2 MB · Views: 67
Found this green rock in a field in Southeast Illinois. Anyone know what it is? It has not been polished, just rinsed off the dirt.
Broken knee Bronze Member Joined Dec 12, 2009 Messages 1,909 Reaction score 785 Golden Thread 0 Location in your back yard Detector(s) used excal 2 Fisher F75 SE Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Mar 18, 2021 #2 Crack a piece off and see what it looks like inside could be quarts or serpentine? Upvote 0
ToddsPoint Gold Member 🥇 Charter Member Joined Mar 2, 2018 Messages 9,197 Reaction score 33,137 Golden Thread 0 Location Todds Point, IL Primary Interest: Metal Detecting Mar 19, 2021 #3 I think that is a type of porphyry. Maybe diabase porphyry? The white crystals are called phenocrysts. Lots of different flavors of porphyry. Here's one from the net. I live in Cent. IL and this stuff is common in the glacial till. Gary Upvote 0
I think that is a type of porphyry. Maybe diabase porphyry? The white crystals are called phenocrysts. Lots of different flavors of porphyry. Here's one from the net. I live in Cent. IL and this stuff is common in the glacial till. Gary