What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Little green and red rocks.

Dieseltechjon

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2025
Messages
47
Reaction score
93
Golden Thread
0
Not sure what these are. I'm greener than this here rock but it ended up in my cons along with the little red one. I would like to be able to ID them in the future.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6449.webp
    IMG_6449.webp
    646.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_6451.webp
    IMG_6451.webp
    725.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_6450.webp
    IMG_6450.webp
    671.2 KB · Views: 104
Thank you for your service. I have driven by that place a thousand times. Never knew it was an AFB. I think they call it So-Cal logistics airport now....at least google earth does.

Thank you for the kind words. Yeah the base was shut down in 1992 if I'm remembering correctly. My dad, my father in law and I were all stationed there at the same time.
 
Upvote 0
Don't know about the green one, but that little red one could be a garnet.
 
Upvote 0
Southern California. Near the cajon pass....if you are familiar with the area
It's hard to ID rocks from photos so just a guess on my part and what could be in the area, the green rock could be epidote the red rock as mentioned could be garnet.

Both of these would be translucent to opaque so some light should be transmitted through them, so if either isn't then my guess is not correct.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The red stone looks like a piece of Hematite. Typical in Northern California to be found in cons.
He stated it's from Southern California, just an FYI Hematite is dark gray to black in color, but it does leave a red/brown streak.
There is however Hematite in the area he found this but it's the wrong color.
 
Upvote 0
He stated it's from Southern California, just an FYI Hematite is dark gray to black in color, but it does leave a red/brown streak.
There is however Hematite in the area he found this but it's the wrong color.
AU seeker, red hematite isn’t exclusive to Northern California. I’ve washed many pans with red to purple/silver/gray Hematite. It hangs with the gold just like magnetite.

Read here at the link below.
Wikipedia
 
Upvote 0
The red to purplish stones are Hematite.

IMG_5871.webp

IMG_5872.webp


Here is a very red piece of Hematite called Kidney Hematite in a very raw and pure form before being fractured and rounded. It’s not always like this.
IMG_5873.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I did a scratch test on that piece that looks like hematite, and it came up red, however faint so I'm guessing its hematite? I got some close ups of that green rock too but like AU seeker mentioned it's hard to tell from photos.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6472.webp
    IMG_6472.webp
    2.2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6471.webp
    IMG_6471.webp
    2.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6470.webp
    IMG_6470.webp
    996.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6473.webp
    IMG_6473.webp
    2.6 MB · Views: 57
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom