Greenwood Lake NY/NJ Artifacts

Mezzo

Greenie
Feb 6, 2018
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC_0001.jpg DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0006.jpg I recently acquired these pieces from an estate sale. The finders son said he kept any thing he thought was significant (including a pipe) but, had no interest in these. I think they are worth hanging on to. Most are easy to identify but, a few I am not sure about. Looking for any input.

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Looks like there are some artifacts in there. The stones with holes I wonder about though. Not seeing a pipe?

OP
OP
M

Mezzo

Greenie
Feb 6, 2018
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the small stones with holes are fishing weights. The collectors son kept the pipe and was thinking about donating to a museum.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
This one appears to be drilled, can't say for sure. The others with holes appear to my eyes as natural rocks.

Attachments

• Snip.JPG
    Snip.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 81

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I believe the small stones with holes are fishing weights. The collectors son kept the pipe and was thinking about donating to a museum.

stones with holes are awful common, I don't know If I would call them all fishing weights or any of them for that matter. Maybe some close ups of them would shed a little more light.

Talk him out of that donation! Unless the museum has an active nice native american portion, It's doubtful anyone would ever see it once he hands it off. Many museums have incredible amounts of native american items stored away out of sight. And the way things appear to be going, it's doubtful they will be displayed again.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Much better images, thank you. Image one appears to be drilled and incised. Image two, hole looks drilled as well but I can't say that it's incised, perhaps implement damage?

OP
OP
M

Mezzo

Greenie
Feb 6, 2018
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I am trying to learn. Don't want to toss them on the backyard rock pile without knowing for sure.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
The red stone appears to be a celt, with flake scars still evident around the edge. Is this red slate?

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any chance of seeing more pics of the large red one? If you have time a profile pic and a few of both sides would help also would love to see the pipe too if your buddy sends you any pics of it.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everyone on the stone pics and the 3rd pic in the 2nd group of pics are pottery so yes Native American artifacts. I would love to see a pic of the pipe also.

OP
OP
M

Mezzo

Greenie
Feb 6, 2018
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I am pretty sure that the red stone,(possible celt) is slate. I wish I had a picture to share of the pipe. I saw it and it had a face. Beautiful piece! Unfortunately, I purchased these artifacts from an estate sale. The collector had passed and the home has since been sold. I am not sure how to get in touch with the son. DSC_0001.jpg DSC_0002.jpg DSC_0003.JPG

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The finders son kept the pipe, fyi, that has been mentioned twice

I realized that after it was mentioned the 2nd time but didn't bother to edit my post since I didn't see the need, thank you for noticing and informing me 1320, my apologies to Mezzo. Aside from my blunder, all are nice finds in an estate sale, thank you for sharing them Mezzo.

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I realized that after it was mentioned the 2nd time but didn't bother to edit my post since I didn't see the need, thank you for noticing and informing me 1320, my apologies to Mezzo. Aside from my blunder, all are nice finds in an estate sale, thank you for sharing them Mezzo.

I wanted to see the pipe as well...lol. At first read and glance, I thought the OP was trying to convince us that the object in the upper right of image one was said pipe. I was like, uh, that's not a pipe...

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the red piece to be an adze and I don't think it's slate..a buddy of mine has a gouge made of it and I have a sharpening stone both found in Maine...I believe somebody told him it was some type of river sedimentary rock...mjm

OP
OP
M

Mezzo

Greenie
Feb 6, 2018
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info MJM. You may be right about both. More for me to research, for now. I think I may bring it to a local museum that has local Native American artifacts on display. I looked up "adze" and some images match. One of the reasons that I am on this site - to learn more. Thank you again, Me

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
If the bit goes straight across it’s a Celt if the bit is curved it’s an adze. The bit looks straight across to me. Brandon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread