MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Never heard this term before, but I guess it's what a lot of us are:

Mudlarker discovers cup in Thames that may be rare Roman find
"Popularised by the Victorians, mudlarking involves going down to the banks of the Thames at low tide and searching for interesting historical objects."

So unless someone can suggest a more "American" term to describe this practice, I'll add it to my lexicon and own it without regrets...

The article is also pretty interesting, and there is a nice giant picture of the cup in question. But you have to read to the end of the article to get an inkling of what is going to happen to it. The finder says that "he would happily donate it" to the museum's collection. But a spokesperson for the museum says that, ""The object has been handed to the Finds Officer". I think we all know what that means in England. While we may not have the same history for river artifacts in the U.S., at least we have our mob bodies turning up in Lake Mead...

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mudlark as much as I can when opportunity presents itself. I love mudlarking shorelines in the bahamas for pottery frags. I make mosaics from them. I'll metaldetect too but there is often to much metal in the mudlarking areas for it to be effective.....often times ill just dig in the shallow water at low tide next to the oldest settlements.
20230125_084904.jpg

20220616_144206.jpg

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMAZING FINDS you TWO !! Thanks for postging

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread