Greetings from a new prospector!

spyrakos7

Feb 16, 2015
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello people of Tnet!
I am brand new to prospecting and I'm really excited as I live near many (verified) gold bearing areas and I wanted to share my findings and collect information and experiences from people all over the world!

So, here we go. Firstly I live in Greece, which is known from Ancient times as being gold bearing, which is a nice start for a beginner like me.
Many areas near the place I live have tons of black sands, quartz, iron, pyrite sulfides etc. I know some definite locations to prospect for gold but right now my only limitations are financials as the areas that produces gold are up on the mountain. I panned some sands and I find many pyrite and magnetite but I can't separate pyrite from gold as I have no experience. I sub-merge a tin plate in water and the gold-looking stuff stays on the bottom along with the black sands. I shake the mixture many times and the gold stuff stays on the bottom. The problem is that when I pick it up and snap on my fingers it cracks just like a pyrite supposed to do. But Pyrite flakes are supposed to float or at least escape along with other materials, am i correct?

I read lots of stuff about panning, so even for an amateur I know 1 or 2 stuff but I lack the optical recognition experience. BTW when I grab a relatively big flake and rub it against a porcelain it leaves a golden stroke but cracks.

Some info and experiences are very welcomed! Thank you in advance!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard!

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come to the forum ... :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
S

spyrakos7

Feb 16, 2015
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you fellow prospectors!

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, when you see some real metal gold in your pan there is no mistaking it. If you think "maybe gold" it's not. Buy some of that salted pay dirt in a bag to play with. If you don't want to be totally addicted to AU then don't try it even once. Turn back now. It is not a bad drug, but like other drugs it has the potential to become too important to us. Keep this in mind. Be careful. Watch the movie "Treasure of the seirra madre" I have lost a good friend over the stuff and I also gained some with it. Used to have other hobbies too. Not every one is affected the same way and it can be a very healthy thing. Welcome to our world bud, stay in control.

OP
OP
S

spyrakos7

Feb 16, 2015
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for the friendly advice hunterbill.
I love the mountains and the fresh air, away from the city noise and stress that surround us every day.
To be honest, I am a bit lazy to hit the gym but not for a thrill in the mountain, so I could use some excercise! If I can make enough profit to fill my gas tank, I will be satisfied. But yet again, even If I don't find anything, just the thrill of adventure and exploration is enough for me!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
S

spyrakos7

Feb 16, 2015
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any other prospectors from Greece to exchange opinions?
Κανένας Έλληνας υπάρχει εδώ ρε παιδιά;

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread