Central, Virginia
Detector(s) used
DEUS XP V5
MINELAB EXPLORER II
NAUTILUS DMC
WHITES COIN MASTER
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Working on food plots, I had the drill planting .... when I felt the disc blades scratch across, what felt like a rock. (rocks are as scarce as Hens teeth in these parts) - threw my hat into the field. On my next pass, I got off the tractor ... to find this grinding stone. It was a couple hundred yards off the Mattaponi River -

100_0508_zpsf3qgsbsj.jpg

100_0509_zpskbktldmv.jpg

Upvote 1
let me be the first here to like and comment on this thread,unfortunately I don't think you will get many responses here,my mortal pestle I consider to be one of my prize native finds,went largely un-noticed,thought there were a lot of experts here,they choose to stay silent,unless your there buddy

Unfortunately I'm not seeing a grinding stone...just a scarred flat rock...

I very much enjoyed seeing it even though I don't know anything about it. Thanks for posting

Hard to get a pic of the "polished" divot

100_0538_zps6u9bqpcs.jpg

100_0537_zpsmd1ra5he.jpg

The scars all seem fairly recent, because they're bright, without the patina of the rest of the rock. I imagine they're all plow scars. Odd shape. If it were used as a grinding stone, there should be smooth areas on the unscarred surface. If it's sandstone, which it looks like it could be, that's typical. Your first photos looks like it has a smooth down surface, but I honestly cannot tell from your photos for sure. Just use your eyes and hands to see if you can see and feel obvious grinding wear. It's been whacked a lot unfortunately.

If you could find "any" stone (besides "P" gravel), on this 200+ ACRE property - on the river ...... I'd be dumbfounded - I have found Iron Ore Chunks - used as foundations on ole homes .... but not this ...... remember ..... I'm "piedmont" in Virginia .... along the banks of the Mattaponi River (Mattaponi & Pamunkey Indians) tribes are My neighbors -

Really nice. I've got one I found in West Texas and it is one of my most prized possessions. I don't have a clue to its monetary value and could care less--it's priceless to me. Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back