Grrr.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did she say why she wouldn't sell you the dollar? Maybe, just maybe, she has a son, or a daughter that she was going to give the coin to.....and maybe that would start the child coin roll hunting or collecting. It's not like she was waving in your face and mocking you. There does seem to be some people that act like the teller was doing something wrong. I would have starting talking to her about it and asking if that was the case and try telling her about the coin. Maybe down the road she would remember that and hold on to coins for you. SMH at the way some of you would handle this....it's a hobby, most of us do it for the hunt, not for the outcome!

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While it is disappointing to be able to see silver and not get it, I still contend that it really isn't even teasing. We're the ones "peeking". If any teasing is going on, we're just teasing ourselves by looking for things that we hope to obtain from places that were never intended to be shopping displays.

If a salesperson at a jewelry store told you that the ring that you just picked out of the display wasn't for sale because he/she was keeping it for him/herself, that would be teasing. If a salesperson at a clothing store won't sell a displayed clothing item because he/she wants it, that would be teasing. However, the guy that works on my car is not teasing me by "displaying" a wrench I happen to be able to see in his open toolbox, but won't sell to me. Same with a teller with silver in the tray.

Your logic is a little flawed. The bank does supply us with coin. So any coins there should be able to go to the customers or account holders of that said bank. The guy who works on your car doesn't sell wrenches. He is just there to fix your car. Banks are there to provide a service to its customers, whether it be a checking account, or savings, or providing coins. If i was a teller at a bank I guarantee i would be saving the good stuff for myself. Its a perk of there job and I have no problem with them cherry picking stuff. But is 100% a tease for them to have a coin in their tray on display for all to see and not be willing to part with it. At all my banks the teller trays are right out in the open and you would have to be physically not trying to look at it, not to see the tray.

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would do everything in my power to get a silver dollar from the tray though. First i would ask to exchange a dollar for it. If that didn't work I would offer to pay her money for it. If that didn't work then I would call it a day.

That is perfectly fine. Ask away. If you score, great, but if not, move on.

What I don't understand is your reaction to the OP. Its a natural reaction to be a little mad that a teller won't sell a coin off there tray. Thats the purpose of the tray is to give coins to people who take money out. Its like if Dunkin donuts has one Boston Creme donut on a tray and I go to buy it and they won't give it to me. I can see it and they won't sell it to me. Of course i am going to be mad or a little upset.

Apples and oranges to your analogy.

Putting something in a display case for all to see and admire and then refusing to sell it would be teasing the customer, and any customer would be within their right to be irritated. If you walk into a coin shop and there is a gorgeous double eagle in among other coins for sale and the shop owner won't sell it, you'd better believe you would have the right to be irritated. It was on display, and unless there's a "Not for Sale" sign by it, the coin should be able to be purchased.

Having a coin in the coin tray that tellers use for their convenience is not the same thing. The average bank customer is NOT going up to them and immediately checking out the teller tray for what they can get. 99.9999% don't care. They want their money and that's it. We as roll hunters are the ones peeking into areas not really meant for our eyes. Sure, they have a tray there, but since that tray isn't necessarily part of their offered goods, we have ZERO right to demand what's in it. As long as they can complete our transaction in a normal fashion, they have done nothing wrong. Ask for $10 in quarters, they give you $10 in quarters...ask for $5 in dimes, they give you $5 in dimes...as long as they do this, they have done their job. They are not obligated to give you what's in the tray.

I know the OP sees it for what it is and I think they acted honorably about it. You win some, you lose some. There is no blame, no nothing. It's part of the game.

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your logic is a little flawed. The bank does supply us with coin. So any coins there should be able to go to the customers or account holders of that said bank.

Your logic is flawed, too.

Yes, the bank does supply it's customers with coin, but nowhere does that obligation require them to supply customers with specific coins. You come in and see $5 in silver dimes on the counter. You ask for $5 in dimes, and hand them a $5 bill. They give you another roll of dimes, devoid of any silver. Job done, obligation fulfilled.

As another person stated, this kind of attitude is what gives roll hunters a bad name. We are owed nothing, so why act like we are?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your logic is flawed, too.

Yes, the bank does supply it's customers with coin, but nowhere does that obligation require them to supply customers with specific coins. You come in and see $5 in silver dimes on the counter. You ask for $5 in dimes, and hand them a $5 bill. They give you another roll of dimes, devoid of any silver. Job done, obligation fulfilled.

As another person stated, this kind of attitude is what gives roll hunters a bad name. We are owed nothing, so why act like we are?

I never said they have to give you a specific coin. All i am saying in my posts is that a customer has the right to be a little mad that they see a coin in tray they can't get. I have been doing this long enough to know that you win some and lose some. I also enjoy the hunt and opening a roll and finding that silver rim.

Not sure what attitude your talking about that give CRH a bad name. At no point did I say I would fight with the teller or even make any kind of scene. Only thing I or anyone else said is that they would be mad about seeing a silver dollar in a tray and not being able to get it. The only issue I or anyone has is that the silver dollar is in the tray. The whole purpose of the tray is so it makes it easier for the teller to GIVE the coins to the customer. I am allowed to feel disappointed and should not have to feel guilty about being disappointed.

I am a super small time CRH and have never had any problems at any banks. I might get $150 in mixed denominations a week. I have never had this situation the OP posted about happen to me. All i can say is that if its in the tray, it SHOULD be available to any customer who wants it. If the teller wants it, all they have to do is put it in their drawer out of sight and nobody would be the wiser.

OP
OP
F

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if some banks wont let them put the coin in their drawer until the end of the day.

I've had it happen to me 3 times this summer, one was a silver quarter, one was a franklin and now the peace. All at the same bank but not the same branch.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if some banks wont let them put the coin in their drawer until the end of the day.

I've had it happen to me 3 times this summer, one was a silver quarter, one was a franklin and now the peace. All at the same bank but not the same branch.

I am not sure of the rules of the bank. I wonder if any former tellers could answer that question.

I know I talked to one teller at a bank once who told me she has amassed a nice big collection of silver and older coins from coins that customers have brought in. I just want to work at a bank for a few weeks and see just how many times a person brings in a collection dump.

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I suppose a roll hunter can be mad all they want about seeing a coin they can't have. On that issue, I agree.

However, at the end of the day, that anger and a dollar bill will buy you a can of Coke.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not sure of the rules of the bank. I wonder if any former tellers could answer that question.

I know I talked to one teller at a bank once who told me she has amassed a nice big collection of silver and older coins from coins that customers have brought in. I just want to work at a bank for a few weeks and see just how many times a person brings in a collection dump.
I was never a teller but my wife has worked banking for years and has also been in charge of vaults. She brings home whatever she likes to purchase off the line. Collections don't come in often at all, I recall only a couple times over the years, and they were small.

At other banks, employees may be required to inform customers of the numismatic/bullion value of certain coins they bring in, to the point of even refusing the transaction. Rules generally differ from bank to bank, and even branches of same bank.

I know several tellers that could not care less about collectible coin. I know others that have made nice collections over the years.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread