GTP1350

diggerdan1

Feb 6, 2005
Ontario
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350
Just got my new GTP 1350. Had been using a Discovery 3300. Thanks to [email protected] (www.middlesexdetectorsales.com)for the extraordinary speed in shipping. Anyrate first impression was good. The 3300 detected metal and so does the 1350. Air test on a clad penny gave in excess of six inches with pinpoint not much more. I was used to a numeric ID on the 3300 so the curser style indicator took some getting used to. At first I thought it would be too coarse but in field use I found that if you get a solid hit on one segment in two directions you are getting what is required to discriminate the trash. A real test was required plus I wanted to find something, anything to christen the new detector. The local park/ campground would provide a preponderance of trash with a small offering of clad. The potential for older stuff is very real as well since the park has been in use for over 100 years not to mention it is on a river that was used by the Indians since fur trading time. Trouble is there is annual flooding to a depth of several feet and I swear there is several inches of new silt deposited each spring. Tried zero discrimination with max sensitivity using the standard 7X10 coil. Way too noisy. Settled on Jewelery mode with the sensitivity around 10.5. I was still getting plenty of beeps from the bottle caps but if they were not repeatable assumed they were indeed caps. Dug a few pennies based on solid readings in two directions. Also dug some foil that foiled me. One hole yielded a screwnail that I did not find amusing but there was still a good tone in the hole so continued and got another penny. That was kind of impressive because I had a good tone before I started or would not have dug. Chanced upon a surface penny about two inches from a bottle cap. This looked like a learning situation. If the coil was over the cap it pretty much took over in the indication but if I snuck up on the penny side I could get a good tone off the toe before the cap was detected. Finding coins with this quantity of trash would require very slow progression with minuscule advance after each sweep. I guess a 4 inch coil would also help in this situation. Moving on got another good tone, solid in both directions. I'm diggin. After I had something the size of the grand canyon I'm thinking there is something wrong here, but the hole keeps giving tone and the pile of diggins gives none. Had one of them diggers that Jeff sells on his websight a good inch into the handle(maybe 8 inches) and out pops a clad penny 1994( see what I mean about silt). Next hit we are talking solid again but the profiling feature of the 1350 is showing the middle range which is suppose to be 1.5 to 4 inches. I can't resist thinking some kind of jewelry. Another massive excavation( the depth showed 4 inches) but I was below the handle again and out pops a Little Cleo fishing lure about 1.75 inches long. I have used these lures and they are a good lure with solid metal in them( they weigh a ton and cast forever) so I guess that is why it gave a coin indication. The impressive thing was the profiling demonstrated that it was not a coin but something bigger. The 1350 has a threshold adjustment which sets the volume of the background hum. If you have a hit and raise the detector to where it is unable to register a hit and then lower it, you will get some gurgles and beeps before you are close enough to get a good tone. These gurgles may not give accurate ID but they do indicate the presence of metal just outside of your detection range. I am not sure if these could be referred to as "whispers" but it is an indication. In summary I believe the target ID system is pretty accurate, the profiling (size indication) definitely works and was reasonably impressed with the depth capabilities. The 1350 also came with a 10X14 DD coil but the specs from Garrett indicate I will not experience increased depth with it in non-mineralized soil, only in mineralized. It will cover more ground though and the next job is to try it out. :D

J

Joe (Memphis)

You're gonna like tha 10 X 14 DD if you have a relatively trash free area to hunt in. It is a pain to get multiple targets as you have seen. I use mine on a lake beach, and I can get the much deeper pultabs!!
HH
Joe

FrankTM

Sep 4, 2006
Illinois (Dekalb County)
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350
I used the 10x14 DD in a releatively trash free location. I thought it worked ery well. But I am having issues with 'ghost objects'. I get a good signal and when I dig it moves or dissapears completely. I check the dirt I dug, etc and have a pin pointer. Any ideas?

Frank

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FrankTM, your ghost beeps are usually caused by to much sensitivity and ground minerals. Sometimes tree roots cause this, though what's in a tree root to effect metal detectors?

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All this sounds right for the 1350. Ive been using it a long time and it does not dissappoint. It is accurate on ID at reasonable depths - say to 6". Ditto the profiling.
It will hit a target deeper than it can ID it.

The trash separation is at least adequate, considering the stock coil's ability to cover ground. If you need better, due to trash on site, you can get a sniper for it. DONT expect the larger coils to do better. They may go a little deeper at high SENS levels. Are they worth the extra cost...well, Id get the sniper first.

Multiple coins? It will tell you that you had better dig!
I recently found a quarter dime and penny in one hole - .36 cents. The ID? $.25-.50. Did I dig? If I didnt all I'd be doing is locating targets... not recovering them.
Will ANY detector tell you the number of coins and their denominations in a hole? That's nuts. If there is one, Id like to see it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread