I have heard of this before,but not with such a huge company as Brinks but of a smaller regional company.
The way the coin dealer descibed it is the employee had "connections" in the company and that instead of rolling every half dollar that came in they would bag them @ $2,000 each and let them sit until their supply of boxes got "low"(Not often since there were few other box hunters at this time) and the employee would be able to buy the bags when they filled and take them home on his own time and search them and whatever he didn't want would be brought back and ran through the machine again,this way the company was accomadating a valuable employee(who must have been worth the hassle) and not having a risk of being shorted because his rejects would be counted by THEIR machine and on HIS time.
I saw this guy in this shop about once a month selling halves and quarters/dimes.He was in there more than that,but that is about how often I visited the shop to look around-chit-chat etc.
I never did try to talk to the guy because I didn't want him to know that I was ordering boxes from banks and have him try to put a stop to it with the bank manager.I also didn't want him to realize that other people besides him were doing this(albeit on a MUCH smaller scale!).
At the time this was going on there were very few other hunters in my area(1 I knew of for sure and I assumed a few others),Nothing like it is today.
Anyway,I never knew what happened to that guy,he just stopped coming anymore,the dealer didn't know either,he just never came back,maybe he found a higher price(not likely because the dealer paid him almost what he sold them for himself

),we figured he either quit,got fired or moved.
He was bringing in approximately $1,000 face value per month

of 40% and 90% mixed,with a LOT of walking liberty's and even more franklins.Now realize this was back when the spot price of silver was around $4-$4.50/ounce,so he wasn't making a killing at it like some of you are today but with the volume he had access to-it added up quickly.
Another thing to consider was that the ratio of 90% halves to 40% was VERY different back then.It was not uncommon to find a 50/50 ratio in boxes then and I don't mean a couple of each.So he did well on the 90%er's even though they were only worth a little over 3 times face

.And the 40%'s weren't worth very much at all BUT since there was no cost to him-why not pull them?He didn't have to pay for gas to drive all around to different banks or BEG tellers to get him boxes etc.He had a sweet deal going.
Another benefit of his ability to search bags($2,000) back then was that it was not uncommon to find 8-10 Barbers in that amount(it was rare to get a box that didn't have one in it).And even though they weren't worth a whole lot more than WL's,Franklins,'64's(they still aren't) he would still get a little more over spot for each of these from the dealer.
I only wish that I would have bought more Barbers from the dealer for the price he paid the guy.He would give between $2-$3 for them.
Seated halves were already rare to find in boxes when I started hunting but a few have turned up in boxes(haven't seen one in 10+ years).I found maybe 1 per hundred boxes searched.
This guy only sold about 10-15 during the time that I was aware of him searching bags and selling to this dealer.I didn't get any of them because I thought they were overpriced

.
By the way he wasn't pulling all the silver,as I was getting boxes from his company and always found a good amount of silver in them(although back then there were no silverless boxes at all),So it just meant that he found a lot of it but couldn't get to it all.It would be impossible to and still be able to do "work" for the company as well-not enough time in a day.
Anyway thanks for posting this and maybe YOU could start a cool thread about what kind of interesting people come in to sell halves and any interesting tales they have to share?