What's new

Gun barrel?

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2013
Messages
1,632
Reaction score
3,078
Golden Thread
1
Location
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detecting buddy found this in a 1770s cellar hole that we were hunting last week. Look like a gun barrel but not too sure. I think its 12-16" long, if I remember correctly. He put a musketball in it just to show how well it fit. Thanks for your help!
 

Attachments

  • 15301514405020.webp
    15301514405020.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 15301514521751.webp
    15301514521751.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 15301514616332.webp
    15301514616332.webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 101
It sure is, it’s a pistol barrel at that length with the breech plug still in it. Nice find!
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you! He put a musketball in the end of the barrel, which is what you may have thought was the breach plug
 
Upvote 0
Congrats to your buddy. Nice find
 
Upvote 0
Thank you! He put a musketball in the end of the barrel, which is what you may have thought was the breach plug

No, didn’t think that. The breech plug (and the tang) is the iron piece that screws into the breech of a black powder gun barrel. Also, the long thin part (the tang) comes off of the breech plug and attaches the rear of the barrel to the gun stock with a screw. Like I said, nice find, congrats!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1530186812.644346.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1530186825.367216.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh!!!! That's why I ask you guys...you never cease to amaze! Do you agree with the approximate age?
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
In the first pic, if that's a hole in the side it's a flintlock. Cool find. The rest of it could still be there?
 
Upvote 0
Oh!!!! That's why I ask you guys...you never cease to amaze! Do you agree with the approximate age?

It’s hard to judge because of the heavy rust, but it could be 18th century up through the early 19th century.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a front sight to me. Congrats
 
Upvote 0
that is really cool maybe ya'll can find the rest
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
He will appreciate the kind words and the ID. I just got off the phone with him, and he said once he heals (unfortunate angle grinder accident lol) we are going to dig out the bottom of the hole and do some sifting. I think this may have been a starter home or cabin site. Not much for finds around the cellar itself. 1700s buttons and huge lead ball.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom