What's new

Gut Feeling and perseverance yields 1868 Shield nickel!!! Finally join the 1800 club

qaela4

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2014
Messages
1,380
Reaction score
1,606
Golden Thread
0
Location
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got that gut feeling about going back to Wheelock Park, given to the city in 1886...Historical Society of Cheshire County history buffs). This park has been hammered for as long as detectors have been available. I got some good stuff I posted last year, but no coins. I was searching around some trees that gave up some old bullets and casings last year and got a decent tone right at the base of a tree. I figured it was another one of these May4Wheel.webp. After working my way down about 3-4 inches and the roots making it impossible to go any further I was about to fill in the hole as a buried, lost cause. I decided to stick my pinpointer in one last time in between every tangle I could manage to push, shove, twist and grind it through. BINGO! made contact and did not move that pinpointer off that spot until I got my fingers down in there and got a hold of the thing. Pulled it out thinking it was probably a wheatie, took a look and said "nope, too big for a penny, it's a nickel". I looked at the shield side first and did not see the Jefferson Memorial, so, not having seen any of these first hand I didn't know what I had yet. Flipped it over and clearly saw the 5 to confirm it was a nickel, remembered seeing someone post one the other day on here and just about jumped 20 feet up to the nearest branch!! Waited until I got home and could use my magnifier to get the date and have not cleaned it at all.186811.webp186812.webp I was going to post this picture of a 1904 IH I found last week as my oldest coin...guess I waited long enough to make that a moot claim now!!!:hello2:190421.webp190422.webp
 
Upvote 12
Nice old finds!, love them shield nickels
 
Wheelock Park, as in Allen and Wheelock firearms company? Congrats on the oldies! Sub8-)
 
Congrats on entering the 1800's club. You sure dug a lot to find those 2 coins. If there are any shrubs in the area, I'd detect under them as well as low hanging pine trees. You'll be suprised at what other MDer's missed because it was under a shrub or low pine tree and they can be a pain to get around and under.
 
Congrats on getting the nickel. The IHC is nice too. You are rocking it! GL&HH.
 
Awesome find! Congratulations!
 
Very nice job on the shield . On my bucket list for sure
 
No, different Wheelock. The link I posted changed from the direct story to Historical Society home page. The story is on the right hand side near the bottom, called "History Packet No. 2: George A. Wheelock, Naturalist." That is if you are interested.
 
I plan on it Loco, tomorrow as a matter of fact :).
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom