H. Glenn Carson, Cache Hunting II

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searching TN forum, I didn't find a discussion of H. Glenn Carson. His Cache Hunting II is a modern classic and Carson also has written various State guides to treasure.

Glenn has been around a long time and is an excellent writer emphasizing research and mindset for the successful cache hunter. His daughter Leanne Boyd is a co-author and active in producing Glenn's publications. She had a business "Waybill to Adventure", but it appears that they are now simply publishing Carson's books and offering them via Amazon and book outlets.

If you enjoy Karl von Mueller's writings, you should consider adding Glenn's books, especially Cache Hunting II! :hello2:

Recommended! Cache Hunting, Volume 2 | Lost Treasure Online - Official Website of Lost Treasure Magazine
http://www.amazon.com/H.-Glenn-Carson/e/B00J6IS9EQ/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1424179223&sr=1-1

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Thanks chirper, the promo says they resisted the urge to publish actual cache recoveries. Why
wouldn't they if they were genuine? After all that's what we want to hear about. Glenn's style
of writing is just repeats of basic info repeated over and over.

He printed a legend one time that was so bogus I disproved it without leaving my chair. IMO
filling a book with nonsense is a waste of reader's time.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Lastleg. I bought his first cache hunting book and then wanted to see what else he offered in the 2nd edition. I found the 2nd was just the first book basically re-written with some new stories.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read the first book, but never got around to the second one. I think the first volume contains useful information that is applicable to cache hunting, at least it was for me. The thing about caches is that somebody somewhere probably has a legal claim to it. Then there is the most dreaded government organization to ever exist - the IRS. So if your a successful cache hunter the number one rule you always follow is - tell no one, that means nobody, under any circumstance whatsoever, anything about your finds...

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carson died many years ago, and his daughter Leanne also passed away more recently. I tried to make sure his library was safe and preserved, but the family began fighting in public over her death and living circumstances and funeral costs in ways you would not believe. She and I were facebook friends before she died. She is still on my friend list there.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Matt thanks for the update on Glenn. I knew he had heart problems and lived at Dona Ana NM the
last I knew. I believe he like a lot of others wanted to make a living out the Treasure business but
you never know what demons they are fighting. RIP Glenn Carson.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He lived in Las Cruces, and died there. Leanne moved to his house and tried to keep his treasure related book business a going concern. She suffered a bad burn from a heater in the house, and when she was admitted to the hospital she took a turn for the worse. She died not long after that. It did not go well after that. Glenn's website was shut down, and I was unable to find out from the family what happened to his library in the house. They did not know who I was and viewed me as an unwelcome outsider, even though they knew Leanne and I had been friends.

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for update UncleMatt...A sad ending for Leanne. It appeared that she really put a lot of energy and marketing skills into presenting the Waybill to Adventure website. I purchased several items online and am satisfied with their value and information. I consider Carson's Cache Hunting II to be an invaluable reference for this subject. Not as entertaining as K von Mueller's 6 and 7, but good mindset and core tips for increasing chances of success. I was disappointed that Glenn didn't include an actual cache recovery description and analysis in his book.

Here is a link to an archived Waybill to Adventure site, 2008.
https://web.archive.org/web/20080703014038/http://www.waybilltoadventure.com/

Here is a link to Waybill to Adventure with message from Glenn when the business was switched to an Amazon storefront:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130811065430/http://www.1wbta.com/

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The impression I got from the family was that anyone associated with treasure hunting must be loony tunes, unfortunately.

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lesson to be learned is to have a will that clearly specifies what happens to our possessions. In Glenn's case, I hope that Leanne was clearly the heir to the treasure related information he collected over his lifetime. Subsequently, Leanne should have willed the material to someone that would value his archives and share with the TH community.

We had a 94 y/o gentleman here in WV who spent his adult life researching a family surname. He was well respected and valued by our genealogical association as he had obtained original documents and interviews of now deceased family members. When he died, I checked with the genealogical society archives and asked for his information. I was informed that he had not specified in his will what would happen to the material, and his immediate family refused to allow photocopying and perusal even by the society members. His information is now stored in an outbuilding mouldering away. Sad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased Carson's Bonanza Seekers' Handbook

"
Tales of Caches and Treasure Troves found and how they were found. Includes many stories of treasures buried over the years. Includes how-to tips." from Amazon site http://www.amazon.com/Bonanza-Seekers-Handbook-Glenn-Carson/dp/0941620700

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lesson to be learned is to have a will that clearly specifies what happens to our possessions. In Glenn's case, I hope that Leanne was clearly the heir to the treasure related information he collected over his lifetime. Subsequently, Leanne should have willed the material to someone that would value his archives and share with the TH community.

We had a 94 y/o gentleman here in WV who spent his adult life researching a family surname. He was well respected and valued by our genealogical association as he had obtained original documents and interviews of now deceased family members. When he died, I checked with the genealogical society archives and asked for his information. I was informed that he had not taken specified what would happen to his material, and his immediate family refused to allow photocopying and perusal even by the society members. His information is now stored in an outbuilding mouldering away. Sad.
She was the heir in his will, problem is, I don't think she had a will...

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carson used to write a monthly article for a treasure mag., Lost Treasure I believe, and he did re-hash a lot of the same material, but I always read it, and usually enjoyed it.

He had a way of sparking your interest, and getting you excited about his subject matter.

It had to be tough to come up with something interesting every month.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I'm pretty sure he wrote for Eastern&Western but I would have to unload a closet to be sure.
It's ironic that KvM and Glenn's lives had such sad endings. With Dean I never had the feeling
he was bending the truth, a sign of a great author. His wit and common sense approach was
worth more than the price of his books.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several books by both of them and I value them greatly. Mr. Carson knew how to inspire, and KVMtold you how it was the bare bones truth of how why and where. Glenn did write for W & E .
I still have a hand written credit slip from Glenn on book order which I value more than gold.

If I remember right KVM was putting together another book of cache stories before he died, I don't remember it ever being published though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure he wrote for Eastern&Western but I would have to unload a closet to be sure.

Yes, Carson wrote monthly articles for Western and Eastern Treasures...in Jan. 2006 he contributed "Million-dollar Dreams and Common Cents"...."Hunt treasure because you like to hunt treasure."
H. Glenn Carson

Last edited:
OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P. 90 Cache Hunting II: http://smile.amazon.com/Cache-Hunti...&qid=1424452921&sr=8-2&keywords=cache+hunting
Carson's chapter title 'Focusing your Efforts', Excerpts include:

"The farther you must travel, the more costly it is in time, effort, and money to seek those caches. You wish to find wealth, not squander it. 50 to 100 miles is a very large radius.... You will never fully be able to thoroughly check the possible cache sites in even a smaller area.... Any good cache search deals with as small an area as possible. Such a search is and must be focused on the smallest details.

Slow down,
Observe, deduct,
Use your equipment
Less than your mind,
And do all this as
Close to home a possible."

Oct 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all.
I am the youngest daughter of H. Glenn Carson. So many untruths and stories not told by living relatives in the passing of my father and my sister. Y'all have to remember that H. Glenn Carson started treasure hunting...period. I grew up in the back of a camper while dad hunted ghost towns (1965 Eldorado camper on a'62 Chevy!) When he wrote these books there were no other out, or very few on this subject. Van Mueller and Apache Jim were his friends and colleges.

I moved Leanne to dad's in Cruces to help him. I was listed on dad's will to get everything and dole it out to Leanne, but because She was there and "helping" dad, I gave her power of attorney so She could take care of things while living there, for I was 1500 miles away. In the event of either of our deaths, all would revert to the other... little did I know, She gave everything away...literally everything. In 6 months everything was gone. She passed 10 months after dad did. Now who you got all your information from, I have a good feeling whom because non of them were mentioned in dad's will at all. There was no "bickering" from the family for I disowned them 5 minutes after I got home from taking care of what I could from Leannes fiasco...

Dad was honored about a month before he passed and was entered as one of the leading treasure hunters and was given a plack for this. Please honor my father as a leading THer and what he did for everyone one with the dream of finding the "big" one!
Thank you! Patti

mdj

May 15, 2011
midwest
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all.
I am the youngest daughter of H. Glenn Carson. So many untruths and stories not told by living relatives in the passing of my father and my sister. Y'all have to remember that H. Glenn Carson started treasure hunting...period. I grew up in the back of a camper while dad hunted ghost towns (1965 Eldorado camper on a'62 Chevy!) When he wrote these books there were no other out, or very few on this subject. Van Mueller and Apache Jim were his friends and colleges.

I moved Leanne to dad's in Cruces to help him. I was listed on dad's will to get everything and dole it out to Leanne, but because She was there and "helping" dad, I gave her power of attorney so She could take care of things while living there, for I was 1500 miles away. In the event of either of our deaths, all would revert to the other... little did I know, She gave everything away...literally everything. In 6 months everything was gone. She passed 10 months after dad did. Now who you got all your information from, I have a good feeling whom because non of them were mentioned in dad's will at all. There was no "bickering" from the family for I disowned them 5 minutes after I got home from taking care of what I could from Leannes fiasco...

Dad was honored about a month before he passed and was entered as one of the leading treasure hunters and was given a plack for this. Please honor my father as a leading THer and what he did for everyone one with the dream of finding the "big" one!
Thank you! Patti
I thought your dad was a great writer, and I own several of his books. I would love to hear some of the stories of his hunts ! Try to concentrate on the better times you had with your dad. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread