What's new

Had a date with a buffalo. Wait a minute, I mean a buffalo with a date...

vthepresident

Full Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2007
Messages
213
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
Charlottesville, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Prism II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Hey folks,

Finally got out to do some hunting yesterday, and I drove about an hour and a half to a very old town where my friend's parents live. Their house is late 1800s on a busy corner lot, and it had a nice flat yard made of black, moist, sandy soil, perfect for digging. I was thoroughly excited. My friend, who makes fun of me for metal detecting whenever he gets the chance, accompanied me on the trip so he could get some things from his parents house. While there, I demonstrated the machine, and even let him try. I'm not going to say that he is a convert now, but his ridicule will definitely not have as much substance in the future. He was very interested to see what each signal would turn out to be. Eventually, his 7 year old sister came out to investigate, and somehow, she soon commandeered the DFX and became the one swinging the coil. In fact, wrestling it away from her was very difficult. I was more amused than annoyed though, and actually some decent finds started to emerge.

The final total was 4 wheat pennies and a 1917 Buffalo nickel (my first buffalo) and what I believe is my first piece of a harmonica reed, and a god awful ugly brooch that looks like a bug. It had two green eyes, but one of them went down the drain when I was cleaning it. Oops.
Also found a small one piece flat button that says "double gilt" on the back.
buffaloobverse.jpg

buffaloreverse.jpg


I'm going to make a little display of the wheats and the buffalo and send it back to the little girl to start her collection.
Pretty fun day
V
 
Upvote 0
Looks like you had a great time! Definitely some great finds!
congrats
~Nash~
 
Thank for the clarity.... I was about to post "Alabama - Where the men are men and the Buffalo are SCARED! :tongue3: "

Nice digs!
 
Nice finds. Keep it coming! ;D jgas
 
Excellent nickel! Seem to never find one with a date anymore, especially one that old. you might want to see if there are any markings on that broach, Some of them made in the 1940-1950's can be pretty valuable. might want to post it at a costume jewelry site.
Carl
 
Nice finds...I like the bug brooch!
 
Very nice job on the 1917 buffalo nickel! :thumbsup: Those are relaly hard to find; I must say. Keep up the hunting! :thumbsup:
 
Thanks for the replies. I did look to see if there was any remnant of an 8 or a mint mark, since the S and D are a little more valuable, but this thing's pretty crusty. I am pretty sure it is your garden variety 1917 Philadelphia, but I was still thrilled to find it. I am going to put a picture of it or something in my detector coins book since I am giving the coin back to my friend's sister. This and the wheat pennies will be the first ones in her collection.

I was going to look for a marking on the brooch, but it is so ugly, I just couldn't stand to look at it. In fact, I had to throw a dish towel over it because I thought it was staring at me with that one evil eye. Whoever laid down cash money to buy that thing at some point in the past was almost certainly the owner of a black felt painting of elvis and a lot of paisley.

I'll keep you updated on future visits to this site.

V
 
Here is a picture of the display I made for my friend's kid sister. Hopefully she will become a coin collector. But probably not. Oh well, bye bye my first buffalo! It was fun while it lasted!
montblanc008.jpg

V
 
Hey man, that was a really nice deed you did for your friend's kid sister. Hats off to you my friend! :wink:
 
Great buffalo nickel!!! :thumbsup: They are hard to find now-a-days. I just found a 1919 last week, only my 2nd one ever found.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom