What's new

Hafted Quartz End Scraper?

discoidal roller

Jr. Member
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
84
Reaction score
101
Golden Thread
0
Location
Clarksburg, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this on my buddy's property north of Frederick MD, near Thurmont.

In researching this shape, I also found a reference to a "transverse projectile point", but looks like most are arrowheads, not spear points. NEOLITHIC OF CAPSIAN TRADITION BARBED TRANSVERSE PROJECTILE ARROWHEAD.

anyone else have this shape scraper or point? thoughts?

001.webp009.webp011.webp
 
Upvote 0
Um, nc that was a question signified by the ? I was questioning what YOU said. Care to elaborate now that I cleared that up for you?
 
Looks like a quartz core to me. Some more pics would help.
 
Um, nc that was a question signified by the ? I was questioning what YOU said. Care to elaborate now that I cleared that up for you?

Not in particular. Cleared up?? A post below has nailed it. These are cores used as scrapers. I'm not trying to be hateful about this thing. In my part of the country, we find these. As a friendly gesture, I'd love to send you a couple of pieces just like this to study. After hands on evaluation, I would be more than willing to hear what you have to say. I'm not discrediting your knowledge or trying to look better than you. "That ain't me babe"! Just trying to help a fellow collector.
 
Not in particular. Cleared up?? A post below has nailed it. These are cores used as scrapers. I'm not trying to be hateful about this thing. In my part of the country, we find these. As a friendly gesture, I'd love to send you a couple of pieces just like this to study. After hands on evaluation, I would be more than willing to hear what you have to say. I'm not discrediting your knowledge or trying to look better than you. "That ain't me babe"! Just trying to help a fellow collector.[/QUOTE

lol! I don't doubt your generosity or sincerity, but If your rocks really just like that one, i have enough rocks in my garden, and I don't put leverites in there.
You think Catherine nailed it? I say she missed it by 4 miles. Besides one side being snapped off there is nothing that resembles a core any more than it does a g-10 Folsom. IMHO of course.
 
image-1840952082.webp



image-1118768100.webp



image-835831238.webp

What I see is a quartz version of this piece I posted. What I posted is a core that had one more job to do. I keep these finds out in my yard. Comparable to a Folsom, not to me. However, leverite? No! Not if you are studying artifacts. If you are into high end best of the best, in other words, a collector, nothing more, leverite. I'm the first to admit I don't know a lot more than I know. Quito I appreciate you. Really, I do. I would like to know what you think my post is. Artifact or not? Be true, but be nice also. Lol!
 
Looks like a battered broken rock NC.
I don't see signs it was broken down as a core or signs of intentional flaking.
That's just what I see in the photo.
I don't think that one is a Leaverite though ... I think it actually qualifies as a sex stone.. LOL.
Was that nice enough?
Hehe..
The O.P. hasn't even responded and you guys are still going.. ha
 
Last edited:
NC posted........"What I see is a quartz version of this piece I posted. What I posted is a core that had one more job to do. I keep these finds out in my yard. Comparable to a Folsom, not to me. However, leverite? No! Not if you are studying artifacts. If you are into high end best of the best, in other words, a collector, nothing more, leverite. I'm the first to admit I don't know a lot more than I know. Quito I appreciate you. Really, I do. I would like to know what you think my post is. Artifact or not? Be true, but be nice also. Lol![/QUOTE]

Believe me, I study artifacts. I have pails of worked pieces of flint that I've picked up. I collect some high end pieces. I also, sell, trade, and give away pieces.

Your piece there? Well from the pics, I don't think I would have picked it up, and I don't believe it is a core. At best, it could have been a crude chopper or scraper. But nothing jumps out and says artifact about the piece, at least to me.


Joel
 
NC posted........"What I see is a quartz version of this piece I posted. What I posted is a core that had one more job to do. I keep these finds out in my yard. Comparable to a Folsom, not to me. However, leverite? No! Not if you are studying artifacts. If you are into high end best of the best, in other words, a collector, nothing more, leverite. I'm the first to admit I don't know a lot more than I know. Quito I appreciate you. Really, I do. I would like to know what you think my post is. Artifact or not? Be true, but be nice also. Lol!

Believe me, I study artifacts. I have pails of worked pieces of flint that I've picked up. I collect some high end pieces. I also, sell, trade, and give away pieces.

Your piece there? Well from the pics, I don't think I would have picked it up, and I don't believe it is a core. At best, it could have been a crude chopper or scraper. But nothing jumps out and says artifact about the piece, at least to me.

Joel[/QUOTE]

I respect that Quito. I want to ask you a question. A simple yes or no will work just fine. Have you ever spent any time hunting the piedmont are of NC or any of southern VA? If you haven't, take a look on the net or in any book. Look at lithic types available in abundance.
 
No, I never hunted there. Lived in Va. twice though, back in the early and later sixties.

I wonder, what does lithic types found in abundance have to do with anything regarding that rock, besides possibly that material being found in abundance?
 
This is a crude tool made from Spider Vein Quartz. Just like NC has described this is found closer to the section of SC even though it was found in GA. I have seen artifacts made just like this one I am showing found all the way in PA. I believe they were made by the Cherokee Indians which traveled their way from the north all the way to my section of GA. They could only make tools with what was at hand and the area where this was found there is nothing but this type of quartz. I believe and will need more photos from the OP that they might have the same type of tool. I didnt see where the poster had found theirs as in what state. Here you go.
I hope this enough pics for you. Are they going to win a contest of good looking tools? NO but they are still tools I have more if you like to see them but I think this is more than enough. rock, p.s. I hope this helps the person who posted their item.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2264.webp
    100_2264.webp
    183.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_2377.webp
    100_2377.webp
    131 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_2521.webp
    100_2521.webp
    168.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_2522.webp
    100_2522.webp
    121.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_2523.webp
    100_2523.webp
    137.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_2524.webp
    100_2524.webp
    155.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 100_2562.webp
    100_2562.webp
    145.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 100_2559.webp
    100_2559.webp
    145.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 100_2660.webp
    100_2660.webp
    331 KB · Views: 129
Yawn! That does nothing for the original rock rock.

Now, I am just going to stay on the side with the wiser of this thread that properly identified it as a plain ol rock, and I am out of this dead end quartz bunny trail.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom